STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Seems to be something that just takes a little while to get used to. When I first go my WRX ...

k91
    Seems to be something that just takes a little while to get used to. When I first go my WRX it seemed really notchy to shift and strange compared to other cars. Now I hate driving a car with longer throws than the REX

Is it one gear in particular that gives you trouble? I found it makes it easier to get into second if you pause a second before dropping the lever into gear and give the synchros a chance to work. Other than that reverse sucks but that doesn't really bother me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

putting in mobil one..or another high quality synthetic transmission fluid makes shifting a lot smoother..although sometimes if you get a really slippery fluid the synchros wont work as well..i have valvoline and it feels great!

I thought one of the points of a sti short shifter is that its notchy and stiffer.

As opposed to the stock shifter being mushy and vauge?
    Alex

I Support ClubWRX
    Another reason why some are not used to Subaru's gearshift is because of its very mechanical linkage system. Many manufacturers today opt for cable shifters for their generally smoother shift activation. On the other hand, cable shifters often lack good communication of what's going on.

Originally posted by schischwein
    Another reason why some are not used to Subaru's gearshift is because of its very mechanical linkage system. Many manufacturers today opt for cable shifters for their generally smoother shift activation. On the other hand, cable shifters often lack good communication of what's going on.

exactly. i had to get used to the notchyness. ive gotten to love the notchyness. now its weird when i drive someone elses car.

What do the bushings look like? And if they're were no bushings, what would the shifter feel like? Do all of your shifters have a lot of play when in gear? (like side to side play).

Well my 02. isnt much.......BUT,

Mine was notchier than hell for the first 1000miles then I put in the KartBoy bushing at 1300 and like magic its silky smooth!!

now Im NOT sayin the Kartboy Bushing MADE it that smooth because the weather just got warm and I KNOW that helped but I think the $35 Kartboy bushings helped it along!!!

Shotgun

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't personally noticed much lateral play in the shifter while in gear. Then again, the fact that you notice lateral play hints to me that you hold your shifter pretty hard and perhaps you don't change your hand position for different gears. Shifting is more about precise accurate hand movements than ham fisting the rod into gear. Positioning your hand properly will take away many problems encountered while shifting.

Originally posted by schischwein
    I haven't personally noticed much lateral play in the shifter while in gear. Then again, the fact that you notice lateral play hints to me that you hold your shifter pretty hard and perhaps you don't change your hand position for different gears. Shifting is more about precise accurate hand movements than ham fisting the rod into gear. Positioning your hand properly will take away many problems encountered while shifting.
    The play has always been there, i hold it as instructed via internet and other drivers, palm on top, i don't "ham fist" it into gear.

Mmmm... Ham....

You can't just remove the bushings. The OEM bushing is actually pretty soft, like the exhaust hangers. Gooey almost. You can upgrade the bushings to a stiffer poly bushing like Kartboy, I've heard that the Kartboy bushings are a step up from the STi short throw linkage bushings.

It's very easy to change the bushings. Takes about 20 minutes.

short throw shifter

whats is the exact name for it? whats the main point? is it standard for the sti?
    holla'

It's what you said
    Read some reviews about it here
    I'm not sure about the sti though..

The link isnt wrong this is just a really old thread that was before the i-club split. Type in nasioc in place of i-club on the link and it will go to the proper thread.
    Alex

wanted to bring this thread back alive. I am having the sti shortthrow instaleld by my subbie dealer in may. what are the odds if I pick up the kartboy bushings that they would install those instead of the ones that come with it? Thanks for the help.

Staton

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ask them- if they say no, put in later yourself. BTW the STI bushings are firmer than oem ones, not as firm as the poly Kartboys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast