STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i had the same issue, just get under there and start taking the stocker off. it really is pretty simple ...

i had the same issue, just get under there and start taking the stocker off. it really is pretty simple once you get in there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I will have to get under there???
    isnt there anyway i can do it from the inside of my vehicle??
    do i need to lift the car up??
    or only going under there its ok for reaching it?
    Thanks
    Tuca

Try this link.

misterx

Those instructions are very good. I used them last weekend when I installed my STi Short Shifter. It's a pretty easy process - if the transmission is cool. I did the install two hours after I drove home from work and I found that the transmission was still HOT.

I would also recommend getting some Kartboy shifter bushings before you install the short shifter. That will alleviate some of the rubbery feel the stock shifter has.

The bushings are much easier to install on the bench. My sti shifter felt very rubbery until I installed the Kartboys.

misterx

STI SHort throw shifter.

I have the port installed short throw shifter. This is the STI shifter isn't it? Any way, anyone know if this shifter is adjustable? If so how? I've searched threads but haven't had much luck. PLease someone help!

There are no adjustments I am aware of. I have installed the Kartboy bushings, though.

X

It is an STi shifter (the whole linkage, not just the actual stick), and X is right, it's not adjustable.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

MisterX

What's the difference in feel from the stock bushings to the Kartboys? Thanks.

Leo

Everybody raves about them. IMHO, I guess they are worth $35 or whatever they cost now. But they just take some of the slop out of the shifter. The difference is nice but not dramatic. Others here swear by them.

X

How would I go about shortening my shifts more than what the STI shifter does? Anyone make anything to modify it? Or am I SOL?

I don't think the Sti shifter is all that bad to characterize it as a SOL deal. Try the Kartboy bushings and see if you like them. BTW - they transmit vibration into the shifter because they are harder than the stock bushings and sometimes make the shifter "buzz" a bit. I think the Sti shifter is pretty sweet. The install was a bit of trouble for me because some of the bolts are hard for guys with big hands to get at and I realize yours is already installed.

I also think short shift levers like Kartboy and others make shifting a bit too notchy.

Just my opinions.

X

I wasn't refering to the shifter as being SOL, I was refering to not being able to further reduce throws as SOL. I am happy with the feel of the shifter, it is quality. I just wish I could further reduce throws.

the STI Short shift kit comes with bushes harder than the OEM ones,,they go in as a complete set.
    the STI SS feel is awesome
    Tuca
    2002 Black Wagon WRX
    315HP With the PM-ID

Factory Short Shifter Hard to Shift??

I have a 2.5 week old 03' WRX. It has the factory Short throw shifter. I find that it is fairly hard to shift which I heard is normal compared to other cars because of the quality of the rex's tranny. But someone else also told me that if it has bushings installed that this may be the cause of it. The shifter also feels "notchy" when shiffting so i am thinking it has the bushings installed??

Is there a way to make it smoother and/or easier to shift? can i oil the bushines or take them out or something else that is fairly easy for me, not having too much car experience...?

THANKS for the help

mike-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.