downshifting is bad for tranny? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on downshifting is bad for tranny? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by RedWRXwagoN isnt that just rev matching? Rev match is the goal. Throttle blip is the process. CIP, ...

Quote Originally Posted by RedWRXwagoN View Post
    isnt that just rev matching?
    Rev match is the goal. Throttle blip is the process.

CIP, you can still over-blip the throttle, but doing so and releasing the clutch pedal at the wrong time would result in an unsuccessful rev match.
    Hawkeye Alliance #97
    Home of the Flying Vazheen

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ohhh, it all makes sense now!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gimme_cat View Post
    Rev match is the goal. Throttle blip is the process.

CIP, you can still over-blip the throttle, but doing so and releasing the clutch pedal at the wrong time would result in an unsuccessful rev match.
    Without hours and hours on a track, it is virtually impossible to learn how to properly heal & toe fast enough and with enough precision to perfectly match revs on a downshift, in the middle of a race, while fighting off that <name your favorite track car to beat> who is creeping up on your inside.
    I've done it, but prefer a more moderate method as it is too easy to jerk around the trans trying rev match in battle. Thats just me though. The great ones...they do it and it is a thing of beuty to behold. If you want to see how it's done, try to find those in car videos of the japanese cars racing in the hills (why can't I remember this style of racing...it's drifting, but what is the japanese name?????). Those guys are good. But then, this may not be the best example as they often use clutch kick to bring out the rear....which is not good on the clutch or the trans.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Just to clarify, engine braking doesn't hurt the clutch, dragging to clutch to slow down does. Once the clutch is engaged, nothing is damaged. Rev matching is the key.
    can you clarify " dragging to clutch to slow down " ? i usualy release the clutch slowly and dont just let it go when i am downshifting to slow down is that what you mean?

it has taken me 3 years of driving both on the track and on the street, and i have become very good at the heel-toe downshift. it has gotten to the point that i dont realize it when i drive but just about everytime i come to a stop or slow down i knock out a heel-toed or rev matched downshift. it has become second nature to me and my driving style. on the comment of double clutching... you are a god if you can shift faster than me and put your clutch down twice.. however i know exactly how to do it because the 4th gear syncro in my tranny is gone and will not engage unless its double clutched... but with a double clutch it goes in without drama or noise. but really, if someone teaches you how to properly do it, you could be able to do it in a few days, but to truely master it in speed and more importantly SMOOTHNESS takes years of practice either on the track or street.

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_crazy View Post
    If you downshift and don't revmatch then you are wearing out your synchros, yes the truck drivers down shift but most big rigs have what is called the "engine break" so its not like downshifting its another piece of hardware in the engine. So downshifting is fine when you revmatch otherwise you will have problems with shifting into gears and will start to grind when doing so.
    Sorry but that's not how an engine brake aka "jake brake" works. It fully uses the clutch, transmission, and rest of the drivetrain just as much as downshifting without engine braking. All that happens is an extra valve opens on the cylinders to allow the compressed air generated on the upstroke out so it doesn't transfer power back to the downstroke of the piston.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post

Sophie the tranny says "it's all about moderation".
    Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought the purpose of rev-matching was to avoid the possibility of compression locking the rear wheels (in a RWD obviously) when under heavy braking when all the weight is off them. I actually compression locked my old 300ZX when I was changing down going into a corner in the wet. I slipped off the clutch a bit quick, oops.

I frequently use the gearbox rather than the brakes to slow a little. Normally when coming into a corner. I find this balances the car a lot better than the brakes, and gives better control around the corner. I've always done this in every manual car I've owned. Never worn out a clutch or gearbox.

Admittedly, I have generally done this smoothly and not just 'slammed' it down through the gears.

Also, I've never been able to heel-toe to rev match. Curse my Sideshow Bob feet. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
    Lol
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    5 year bump, huh? Bravo.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol there is no law against a random old thread bump once in a while.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Man! Second time I did this, I gotta start paying attention to the dates! That tranny thing was so funny and I got caught up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Lol there is no law against a random old thread bump once in a while.
    Damnit, I forgot the sarcasm font again.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy View Post
    Man! Second time I did this, I gotta start paying attention to the dates! That tranny thing was so funny and I got caught up.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got caught up with trannies, huh? Alright, Danny Bonaduce.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Rev match on the street, heel-toe on the track. Done properly, rev matching will reduce a lot of clutch wear and make the ride smoother. I simply have paid attention to where the revs are at in different gears at speeds and find it easy to rev match. I also don't do it to excess.....but downshifting from fourth to third at 45 is not excessive. Quick throttle blip to about 3k on the tach....and you're there. I don't think there is any chance of harming the syncros when done right.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.