FAQ: Choosing a Torque Damper / Pitch Mount
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on FAQ: Choosing a Torque Damper / Pitch Mount within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is a Torque Damper: A damper is any device that serves to diminish the vibrations of any oscillating object ...

FAQ: Choosing a Torque Damper / Pitch Mount

What is a Torque Damper:
    A damper is any device that serves to diminish the vibrations of any oscillating object (i.e. your engine).

Why is it in my car?:
    A Torque damper (or pitch mount) on a wrx serves as a damper to the forward-backward motion of the engine. Because the crankshaft spins, it has angular momentum, which produces a forward (or backward) force depending on direction of spin. The job of the pitch mount is to minimize this force.

Why would I want a stiffer damper?
    The stronger this damper is, the less the engine moves. Basically, you install a strengthened damper to make the engine “seem” more responsive, so when you hit the gas, instead of the engine twisting and then transferring power, it will transfer power directly to the tranny a bit quicker. It is important to note, this mod DOES NOT eliminate any “drivetrain losses” as some manufacturers will say… it just serves to make the engine feel more responsive.

What are the upsides and downsides to a stiffer damper?
    The upside is that you get a more connected feeling with your car. Throttle response feels more immediate, downshifting feels more exact, and overall shifting feels more firm. The downside is added noise. With the stock pitch mount, most of the engine’s vibrations are absorbed in the rubber. With stiffer mounts, the engines vibrations begin to be absorbed by your firewall. The stiffer the mount, the more vibrations and noise in the cabin.

OK, what are my options?
    The three main aftermarket dampers that you can purchase are the STi Group-N pitch mount, the Ingalls PowerStick, and the Weapon-R. Starting with the STi mount, it looks very similar to the stock mount, but replaces the soft rubber with a harder rubber compound to minimize engine pitch. The Ingalls PowerStick uses a solid metal rod, with a metal bearing on the engine side, and a rubber or polyurethane bushing on the firewall side. The polyurethane option will be stronger but noisier, while the rubber option will not be as strong, and also not as noisy. The Weapon-R is the closest thing to a real damper, and incorporates a “shock absorber” type design to minimize engine pitch. This kit also comes with new engine and firewall mounts.

Any final thoughts?
    When I installed the STi pitch mount, I noticed a slight change in engine responsiveness with minimal noise, but honestly, not as much as I would have liked. When I switched back to the stock one for comparison reasons, the increase in movement was very noticeable. While it was definitely better, your 50 bucks could probably be better spent elsewhere. To compare the extreme cases, I drove the car without any pitch mount, and then with a solid aluminum, bushingless mount. Between those two, there is an ENORMOUS difference in engine responsiveness, but also an ENORMOUS difference in cabin sound level. While I never tried the Weapon-R, I tried the Ingalls PowerStick with urethane bushings on my friend’s wrx, and it felt pretty darn good. The cabin was loud, so we replaced the urethane bushing with the rubber one, and we both felt that was perfect.
    So, if I had to recommend a torque damper, I would say get the Ingalls PowerStick… rubber if you care about noise, or urethane if you don’t.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=[B]OK, what are my options?[/B]
    The three main aftermarket dampers that you can purchase are the STi Group-N pitch mount, the Ingalls PowerStick, and the Weapon-R. Starting with the STi mount, it looks very similar to the stock mount, but replaces the soft rubber with a harder rubber compound to minimize engine pitch. The Ingalls PowerStick uses a solid metal rod, with a metal bearing on the engine side, and a rubber or polyurethane bushing on the firewall side. The polyurethane option will be stronger but noisier, while the rubber option will not be as strong, and also not as noisy. The Weapon-R is the closest thing to a real damper, and incorporates a “shock absorber” type design to minimize engine pitch. This kit also comes with new engine and firewall mounts. QUOTE]

You left out the Jlmmotorsports.com Pitch Mount,We were the first company to build an aftermarket pitch mount for the subaru..We formed a new company called Torque Solution.Here is a link 07-06-2005http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/110072-review-jlmotorsports-pitch-stop-review.html

Thank you ...

If only more reviews were as thoughtful and comprehensive as yours. Especially useful and rare is the user that has tried many alternatives and explored the extremes of possibility. I pulled the trigger on a Ingalls PowerStick today with the rubber bushing. My 2003 WRX is bone stock but I've always been annoyed with the oscillation of the engine during medium hard shifts ... what a waste of energy. I'll let you know how it works out.

Scooby Newby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.