{{Official Trans Fluid Thread}}
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on {{Official Trans Fluid Thread}} within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've seen a bunch of trans fluid threads floating around (read many of them) and I'd like to have a ...

{{Official Trans Fluid Thread}} - Post experiences only!!

I've seen a bunch of trans fluid threads floating around (read many of them) and I'd like to have a single spot for members to share their ideas on what worked and what didn't. Please list what you've tried and the results in the format below. Be as descriptive as possible.

Things I've tried:
    1. Mobil 1
    2. Amsoil
    3. Redline

Results:
    1. I changed to Mobil 1 from the stock fluid at about 16k a year ago. It felt to me that the ease of shifting was improved. I kept the fluid in the car for about a year and 15k miles. I had no problems during this period. The shifting was never "steller" but offered an improvement over stock.

2. I changed to Amsoil from the Mobil one above about two weeks ago. I immediately noticed that the transmission would take longer to go into gear between shifts. I now have to be VERY ginger with the shift into first or the syncro will grind. I have less than 1k miles on this oil and it needs to go in the worst way.

3. I mixed 2 Q of Redline Lightweight Shockproof with ~1.7 Q of Redline 75W-90NS Gear Oil. I've had this oil for about one week. In that time the shifting is noticeably improved. Overall it doesn't feel much different than the Mobil 1. I will update this the longer I have the fluid in the trans.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 05-18-2007 at 05:20 AM.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I mixed up a batch of "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" but a full synthetic version in my 06 TR at 15k miles.

1 qt Redline lightweight shockproof
    1 qt Amsoil syncromesh
    2 qt Amsoil 75w90 gear oil.

NOTE: 5MT CAPACITY IS 3.8 QTS USE GEAR OIL AS TOP OFF FLUID. DO NOT DUMP IN ALL 4 QTS. PUT IN 3.25 AND CHECK ETC.

I have been using it for 10,000 miles and it works 10x better than stock. Took away the notchiness of the shifts, engages smoother etc. Note: 06 5MT tranny's shift slightly better from factory than the 02-05 5mt due to a slight redesign. Therefore the change wasn't as drastic as it was in the 02 below.

Also mixed the normal "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" from Nasioc and put it in an 02 bugeye 5MT at 40k miles.

Previously it had been filled with fresh Valvoline 75w90 gear oil. Shifting with Valvoline was awful, first gear ground every time on the 2-1 shift and reverse felt impossible to find.

So we put in USC which is:

1 qt Syncormesh fluid (pennsoil, gm or amsoil)
    1 qt redline lightweight shockproof
    2 qt castrol Hypoy C 80w 90 gear oil.

NOTE: 5MT CAPACITY IS 3.8 QTS USE GEAR OIL AS TOP OFF FLUID. DO NOT DUMP IN ALL 4 QTS. PUT IN 3.25 AND CHECK ETC.

Worked amazing. Felt like a miracle cure. First gear shifted up and down like it was double syncroed, reverse was easy to find consistantly, and shifting was way smoother. I highly recommend it on 02-05 5MT's. Been using for 3-5 k miles now with no decrease in performance.

Vendors for USC:

Togg's

http://www.tognottisautoworld.com/de...ookieSupport=1

They have everything to make a full syn version, and carry Most major brands of synthetics for you die hard M1, Redline, Royal Purpal, Kendall, Castrol, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc. SYNTHETIC fans.

Pepboy's sells the Castrol Hypoy C as well as the Pennzoil Syncromesh.

www.amazon.com also sells the ingrediants.

Also check your local vendors.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 01-30-2008 at 10:30 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post

Things I've tried:
    1. Mobil 1

Results:
    1. I changed to Mobil 1 from the stock fluid at about 16k a year ago. It felt to me that the ease of shifting was improved. I kept the fluid in the car for about a year and 15k miles. I had no problems during this period. The shifting was never "steller" but offered an improvement over stock.
    I am running Mobil 1 also. I agree with your description. Not great...but better than stock.

I still get first gear grinding if I am not careful.

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

Bump. What have you guys tried? What did you like?

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    My experiences.

1: I switched from stock to Mobil-1 to help a slightly lazy 1st gear synchro.

Result - Better at first, then progressively worse.

2: I then switched to Redline.

Result - No improvement whatsoever.

3: I then switched to Amsoil.

Result - No improvement whatsoever.

4: Back to good 'ol Valvoline.

Result - Drastically improved. Right back where I started with a slightly lazy 1st gear synchro.

I'm done changing trans fluid.

I'm running the cocktail as well, and it's amazing. I had a friend (who didn't know about the change) get in and play with it a bit, he immediately said "oh, shifting is nicer! What happened here?"
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

Banned
    +1 for Uncle Scottys Cocktail I took the forums advice and it paid off very well and makes me happy with every shift. Noted smother shifts and most of all peace of mind as I bought a used car and had no idea what god awfull stuff was in it before. You can buy the whole cocktail off an amozon vendor. Make sure you sort out the fact that its the same vendor they shiped it in to different packages charging me twice for shiping from the same caompany call and order so you get one package.

I'm using Royal Purple, started using it at 45k, now at 50k, seems better than dino oil.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pweizman View Post
    I am running Mobil 1 also. I agree with your description. Not great...but better than stock. I still get first gear grinding if I am not careful.
    +1. I'm doing my 60K service this week & am planning on using USC. Does anyone know where to get Redline Lightweight Shockproof locally? Or is it only available online?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Go to the Redline website and do a dealer search. It will bring up all of the dealers near you. Most of the chain stores carry some of their products but not the gear oils. You will probably have to find a racing supply shop.
    Lot's o' mods...

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by relayer66 View Post
    Go to the Redline website and do a dealer search. It will bring up all of the dealers near you. Most of the chain stores carry some of their products but not the gear oils. You will probably have to find a racing supply shop.
    I ended up having my local Advance Auto order it for me.

When I drained the tranny fluid, it looked like brand new oil. It had a nice golden brown color to it & still felt really thick. It didn't smell burnt at all either.

I used Uncle Scotty's Cocktail per the 2nd post here & I immediately noticed a difference. Smoother shifts with alot less effort & less resistance going from gear to gear, especially 1st & reverse.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I mixed up a batch of "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" but a full synthetic version in my 06 TR at 15k miles.

1 qt Redline lightweight shockproof
    1 qt Amsoil syncromesh
    2 qt Amsoil 75w90 gear oil.

I have been using it for 3,000 miles and it works 10x better than stock. Took away the nothciness of the shifts, engages smoother etc. Note: 06 5MT tranny's shift slightly better from factory than the 02-05 5mt due to a slight redesign. Therefore the change wasn't as drastic as it was in the 02 below.

Also mixed the normal "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" from Nasioc and put it in an 02 bugeye 5MT at 40k miles.

Previously it had been filled with fresh Valvoline 75w90 gear oil. Shifting with Valvoline was awful, first gear ground every time on the 2-1 shift and reverse felt impossible to find.

So we put in USC which is:

1 qt Syncormesh fluid (pennsoil, gm or amsoil)
    1 qt redline lightweight shockproof
    2 qt castrol Hypoy C 80w 90 gear oil.

Worked amazing. Felt like a miracle cure. First gear shifted up and down like it was double syncroed, reverse was easy to find consistantly, and shifting was way smoother. I highly recommend it on 02-05 5MT's. Been using for 3-5 k miles now with no decrease in performance.

Vendors for USC:

Togg's

http://www.tognottisautoworld.com/de...ookieSupport=1

They have everything to make a full syn version, and carry Most major brands of synthetics for you die hard M1, Redline, Royal Purpal, Kendall, Castrol, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc. SYNTHETIC fans.

Pepboy's sells the Castrol Hypoy C as well as the Pennzoil Syncromesh.

www.amazon.com also sells the ingrediants.

Also check your local vendors.
    hmmm i dont get it, which mix is better?
    sorry im a noob
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sch3838 View Post
    hmmm i dont get it, which mix is better?
    sorry im a noob
    thanks
    He didn't directly compare them. Both mixes did have positive results.

I'm going to follow up post on my experiences with the Redline mixture.

2 qt. Lightweight Shockproof
    ~2 qt. 75W-90 Synthetic

I'm at 35k now and transmission has never felt better! The syncros actually work. 1st gear is an absolute breeze to get into, even at speeds around 20 mph. This became very useful at an autox event which had a VERY tight turn around and made a downshift handy. The transmission still is a touch "notchy", but overall I don't think I could be much happier with it.

I'm very much coming to the opinion that viscosity of the oil used has a direct relationship with how well the syncros work.

Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    I'm running the cocktail as well, and it's amazing. I had a friend (who didn't know about the change) get in and play with it a bit, he immediately said "oh, shifting is nicer! What happened here?"
    hey
    where did you get all your stuffs(web link)?
    they dont even sell those ****s in delawere half of the pep boys ppl dont even kon what it is...
    and which gear oil do i use if i have 07 WRX 80w90 or 75w90?
    thanks
    Last edited by sch3838; 07-03-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast