06 20g'd Wagon -----> 06 STI Tranny! - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 103

This is a discussion on 06 20g'd Wagon -----> 06 STI Tranny! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; bringing this thread back from the dead. i will be doing my 07 sti 6spd into my 07 wrx wagon ...

  1. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    bringing this thread back from the dead. i will be doing my 07 sti 6spd into my 07 wrx wagon


    i assume this will be the exact same swap. thanks for all the info and everything was really useful information wise.

    thanks and i hope mine goes as smoothly as yours, and its a 1 day install.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,621
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullywagon07 View Post
    bringing this thread back from the dead. i will be doing my 07 sti 6spd into my 07 wrx wagon


    i assume this will be the exact same swap. thanks for all the info and everything was really useful information wise.

    thanks and i hope mine goes as smoothly as yours, and its a 1 day install.
    the final drives are different between '06 and '07. Make sure that the rear diff you get or have matches the final drive ratio of the transmission. :-). Good luck!!!
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  4. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    the final drives are different between '06 and '07. Make sure that the rear diff you get or have matches the final drive ratio of the transmission. :-). Good luck!!!

    will be using 02-05 rear diff

  5. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    to the top, the 2 compression washers for the master cylinder, what 2 do i need?!?!

    ttt for someone who knows.

  6. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    ttt..anyone?!?! i pm'ed the op...

  7. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    ttt for my question below..

  8. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXLBart View Post
    Hey asonowicz , I was wondering would your part list work with 04 STI trans ? and the rest the same or I would need to stay with a 06 sti trans to keep the parts list?

    Parts acquired:

    - 2006 STI transmission (used, 15k mi, center diff is 1.1:1 ratio)
    - 2006 STI driveshaft (used 800 mi, so the seller claimed it was an 06
    - STI 6 speed shifter assembly (new)
    - STI 6 speed gearshift knob (new)
    - ACT STi Streetlite flywheel 13.9 lbs (new)
    - ACT Streetlite STI clutch kit (used, 8k mi)
    - 2003 Rear Diff (freebee...Thanks ERIC! 3.54 ratio, final drive = 3.9)
    - Neetronics DCCD standalone controller (new)
    - 2 Circlips for 2006 WRX Front Axles (new, dealer)
    - 2 compression washers for clutch master cylinder (new, dealer)
    - about a dozen M10 x 1.25 pitch bolts (various lengths for bellhousing, turbo studs, etc) with Lock washers and hex nuts

    Parts Re-used:

    - Front Axles (2006 axles do not require new seals or stubs)
    - Rear Axles
    - crossmembers
    - exhaust hanger (on transmission)
    - all wiring connectors & plugs (except one plug)
    2 washers for where exactly on the master cylinder? do you have part #, gosh this thread is pretty old...

  9. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    34
    is that list and info only for wagons? what about sedans?

  10. #84
    Registered User ansonowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    LBC
    Posts
    2,262
    the sedan and wagon drivetrain is practically the same, most of the differences involve suspension geometry, control arms.

    As for the compression washers, you can get those at a local hardware store in the plumbing section. they install on each side of the line fitting...think of it as 2 washers and 1 bolt. And i realized I maybe using the incorrect terminology..but it's the assembly where you fill the hydralic fluid for the clutch.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G


    Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

  11. #85
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,621
    I Support ClubWRX
    Good to see ya around Anson! ClubDub has been cured of the HIV... it'd be awesome to see you drop by more
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  12. #86
    Registered User ansonowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    LBC
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Good to see ya around Anson! ClubDub has been cured of the HIV... it'd be awesome to see you drop by more

    Sweeeet!


    Here's a small update:

    - I just clocked 114k miles on my wagon. Transmission has tiny leak somewhere near rear driveshaft area. Replaced oil seals, no change. It leaked 1 or 2 drops every other week in the beginning. How it leaks a lot more, about a quart of fluid per month. YIKES! I'm assuming it's showing it's age after being a "rear ended STI"

    - Neetronics doesn't isn't nearly as smart as Subaru DCCD. Example when taking a high speed corner or when i can feel the tires slip on an STI, i can feel the DCCD working it's magic. On the neetronics, it just slips. I drive on 15-20% duty cycle and it properly behaves like a RWD. Remember i have a heavier wagon so the dynamics of control are much different than the STI.

    - My SPEC Stage 3+ clutch seemed to have outlived my motor. A new ej257/ej255 hybrid will be going in soon
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G


    Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

  13. #87
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,621
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    Sweeeet!


    Here's a small update:

    - I just clocked 114k miles on my wagon. Transmission has tiny leak somewhere near rear driveshaft area. Replaced oil seals, no change. It leaked 1 or 2 drops every other week in the beginning. How it leaks a lot more, about a quart of fluid per month. YIKES! I'm assuming it's showing it's age after being a "rear ended STI"

    - Neetronics doesn't isn't nearly as smart as Subaru DCCD. Example when taking a high speed corner or when i can feel the tires slip on an STI, i can feel the DCCD working it's magic. On the neetronics, it just slips. I drive on 15-20% duty cycle and it properly behaves like a RWD. Remember i have a heavier wagon so the dynamics of control are much different than the STI.

    - My SPEC Stage 3+ clutch seemed to have outlived my motor. A new ej257/ej255 hybrid will be going in soon
    Oh man... 114k?? I remembered you drive a lot... but jeeze... I'm at 43k on mine!

    So what's the plan with the transmission?

    What's the point in a ej257/255 hybrid? The only difference in 06 was the fuel rails/injectors (which u don't care about because you're retaining 255 TGVs) and the pistons apparently were .1:1-.2:1 lower compression... the actual block was the same. Are you going to use the EJ257 pistons as well? Any reason why?
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  14. #88
    Registered User ansonowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    LBC
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    What's the point in a ej257/255 hybrid? The only difference in 06 was the fuel rails/injectors (which u don't care about because you're retaining 255 TGVs) and the pistons apparently were .1:1-.2:1 lower compression... the actual block was the same. Are you going to use the EJ257 pistons as well? Any reason why?
    I bought a brand new ej257 shortblock cheap...dirt cheap compared to dealer price. As I thought more about it, I wanted to have heads that still took advantage of the AVCS cams and cpu compatibilty.

    I have brand new forged CP pistons going into the build and after calculating the compression ratios, I will be at 8.7 or so (compared to 8.4 on OEM setup). So that means more low end grunt for my torque monger tendencies.

    ALSO all of this stuff will be built outside of the wagon then drop in a weekend. The block will be built, heads will be ported, and everything assembled ready to go. An entire build for less than 2600 including labor. Just a lot of patience, bargain hunting, and my karma is coming back to me.

    By the way, did you know I lifted the wagon? Yeah 2" over stock on knobby All terrains.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G


    Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

  15. #89
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,621
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    I bought a brand new ej257 shortblock cheap...dirt cheap compared to dealer price. As I thought more about it, I wanted to have heads that still took advantage of the AVCS cams and cpu compatibilty.

    I have brand new forged CP pistons going into the build and after calculating the compression ratios, I will be at 8.7 or so (compared to 8.4 on OEM setup). So that means more low end grunt for my torque monger tendencies.

    ALSO all of this stuff will be built outside of the wagon then drop in a weekend. The block will be built, heads will be ported, and everything assembled ready to go. An entire build for less than 2600 including labor. Just a lot of patience, bargain hunting, and my karma is coming back to me.

    By the way, did you know I lifted the wagon? Yeah 2" over stock on knobby All terrains.
    8.7?? Damn.... are you going to be using a higher flow low PSI turbo? or what's your plan on the turbo end?

    That's a damned good deal. Way to go on the bargain hunting .

    I did hear about the lift! Saw pics of it too... it looks freaking mean . Did you lift it with longer travel suspension or did you put spacers on the top hats?
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  16. #90
    Registered User ansonowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    LBC
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    8.7?? Damn.... are you going to be using a higher flow low PSI turbo? or what's your plan on the turbo end?

    That's a damned good deal. Way to go on the bargain hunting .

    I did hear about the lift! Saw pics of it too... it looks freaking mean . Did you lift it with longer travel suspension or did you put spacers on the top hats?
    Even at 1/2bar, the 20G still pretty torquey....it seems to hold up well. As for the suspension, it's a straight 04+ ForesterXT swap and bigger tires. I only had to lose the sideskirts.

    Thanks mang!
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G


    Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •