06 20g'd Wagon -----> 06 STI Tranny! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 06 20g'd Wagon -----> 06 STI Tranny! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You are awesome man I was looking / searching how the heck do I get a STI trans in my ...

You are awesome man I was looking / searching how the heck do I get a STI trans in my 06 wrx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXLBart View Post
    You are awesome man I was looking / searching how the heck do I get a STI trans in my 06 wrx.
    PM me if you want some more ideas / brainstorming....I'd be happy to provide any info I can.

thanks...I'm lovin the reborn waggie.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Thread hijack; First I am going to start with the basics of getting small parts together later on when more 06's show up on car-parts.com or ebay I am going to snatch one up.

I was wondering what differential would I need to use with the 07 sti transmission?

I was there was someone on the East Coast (NY) that did a sti swap in a 06 wrx and could help me out when the day comes.

Thread hijack; First I am going to start with the basics of getting small parts together later on when more 06's show up on car-parts.com or ebay I am going to snatch one up.

I was wondering what differential would I need to use with the 07 sti transmission?

I was there was someone on the East Coast (NY) that did a sti swap in a 06 wrx and could help me out when the day comes.
    Assuming someone has the specs of the 07 tranny (center diff ratio, final drive) then it will be simple math.

I Support ClubWRX
    Tranny mounts the same for 06 WRX and 06 STI?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Tranny mounts the same for 06 WRX and 06 STI?
    Physically the same size...they all bolt up. But STI mounts are stiffer (I'm probably stating the obvious)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    Physically the same size...they all bolt up. But STI mounts are stiffer (I'm probably stating the obvious)
    Yeah I have the "Sti mount" on my 5MT, but I wasn't sure if it was a STi (as in Subaru Technica International) aftermarket 5MT tranny mount, or the actual tranny mount for the 6spd USDM STi.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Hey asonowicz , I was wondering would your part list work with 04 STI trans ? and the rest the same or I would need to stay with a 06 sti trans to keep the parts list?

Parts acquired:

- 2006 STI transmission (used, 15k mi, center diff is 1.1:1 ratio)
    - 2006 STI driveshaft (used 800 mi, so the seller claimed it was an 06
    - STI 6 speed shifter assembly (new)
    - STI 6 speed gearshift knob (new)
    - ACT STi Streetlite flywheel 13.9 lbs (new)
    - ACT Streetlite STI clutch kit (used, 8k mi)
    - 2003 Rear Diff (freebee...Thanks ERIC! 3.54 ratio, final drive = 3.9)
    - Neetronics DCCD standalone controller (new)
    - 2 Circlips for 2006 WRX Front Axles (new, dealer)
    - 2 compression washers for clutch master cylinder (new, dealer)
    - about a dozen M10 x 1.25 pitch bolts (various lengths for bellhousing, turbo studs, etc) with Lock washers and hex nuts

Parts Re-used:

- Front Axles (2006 axles do not require new seals or stubs)
    - Rear Axles
    - crossmembers
    - exhaust hanger (on transmission)
    - all wiring connectors & plugs (except one plug)

I was the one that did the Sti drivetrain in my '06 WRX, I actually searched on here and found this link confirming if it actually could be done

ansonowicz- great writeup and great job on taking on this project

this is my nasioc link if anyone is interested in looking

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...1307793&page=2
    Last edited by shomestyle; 10-14-2007 at 12:28 PM.

shomes style great job. I am actually located in Queens with a black wrx and some dark rims no drop. Anyways great job. I am still debating If I should keep the 5 speed wait for Mfactory , touge tuning gearset and buy a kit for around 2300$. I am planning get a 2005 sti after the winter. ( teaching wife how to drive my wrx soon so I can give it to her and get a sti for myself ).

shomes style great job. I am actually located in Queens with a black wrx and some dark rims no drop. Anyways great job. I am still debating If I should keep the 5 speed wait for Mfactory , touge tuning gearset and buy a kit for around 2300$. I am planning get a 2005 sti after the winter. ( teaching wife how to drive my wrx soon so I can give it to her and get a sti for myself ).
    thanks for the comment, as far as what u should do that really depends on ur driving style.... personally i'm not a big 1/4 mile person, so the 6 spd. is great for the type of driving i do, but for u it may be different

another reason why i went with the 6spd. is because i could sell all my stock parts being that they were in good condition, and make some money back, so it doesnt really end up being that expensive that way

Can anyone answer me if I were to use a 2004 STI transmission what rear differential would be best match up the transmission? Oh yeah and would I be able to reuse my 06 axles in the 04 sti trans? I found some 04 sti trans and driveshaft for pretty good prices.
    Last edited by 06WRXLBart; 10-15-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Can anyone answer me if I were to use a 2004 STI transmission what rear differential would be best match up the transmission? Oh yeah and would I be able to reuse my 06 axles in the 04 sti trans? I found some 04 sti trans and driveshaft for pretty good prices.

if u are going to use the STi driveshaft u will need to use an R180 rear off an sti.... if u are going to use an R160 rear u will need a 3.9 R&P conversion, as well as a custom driveshaft or one from an automatic wrx (there are other models that will work i just dont remember which) to make it work with the R160

u should be able to reuse the axles, u need to take out the male stubs from the axle though

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    Assembly (part 1)

Best part, I only crushed my fingers once
    Ive done that my middle finger is still a little crooked but I was swapping the automatic in my camaro to a manual 5sp so i definately know the pride your feeling with the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by shomestyle View Post
    if u are going to use the STi driveshaft u will need to use an R180 rear off an sti.... if u are going to use an R160 rear u will need a 3.9 R&P conversion, as well as a custom driveshaft or one from an automatic wrx (there are other models that will work i just dont remember which) to make it work with the R160
    Bringing a dead thread back to life, cause it is exactly what I need to know. First, thanks to ansonowicz and shomestyle for great info!!

Second, the above highlighted is NOT true, regarding the STI driveshaft and rear diff. All you have to do is change the R-160 rear companion flange that the driveshaft bolts to. This does not take the rear diff ratio into account, as that has nothing to do with the driveshaft

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.