Kartboy VS. STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kartboy VS. STI Short Throw Shifter Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, are there any opinions out there about the Cobb Club Short Shifter/bushing and Trans bracket kit or the KartBoy. ...

Question Factory Short Shifter vs. Cobb Club/Kartboy

Hi, are there any opinions out there about the Cobb Club Short Shifter/bushing and Trans bracket kit or the KartBoy. Is this as good as or better than the Factory Short Shifter. I just got the go-ahead to purchase a new WRX as my new company car(I have a way Kool boss) and my initial thought was to get the factory shipper but I just saw that Cobb has one for much less. I am not opposed to doing my own installation.
    Thanks in advance.
    Blake in OKC
    Soon to join the Club!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not sure about the cobb but the kartboy has a much much shorter throw (40% i beleive) than the factory shortshifter, which i heard is not that much shorter than stock...i have felt the kartboy and if feels great, short and crisp...

i have the kartboy right now waiting for my bushings to arrive...

does this mean you can expense your mods???
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Errr...I have the shortshift and it's AT LEAST 50% shorter throw than the standard shift.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    Errr...I have the shortshift and it's AT LEAST 50% shorter throw than the standard shift.
    the factory option?

sorry..i have heard that it was not that much of a difference...i stand corrected
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had the original shifter and then after a month got the upgrade. A huge difference let me tell you.
    2010 SSM STI

Originally posted by WilliamG
    I had the original shifter and then after a month got the upgrade. A huge difference let me tell you.
    when i felt the kartboy...i had to get it...

hopefully going to install it this weekend...makes spirited driving a lot more fun
    -Brian

I have the sti shifter and have used a very good short shift lever, ILP Performance. The ILP was shorter shifting. The Sti is smoother and less notchy feeling.

misterx

I love my STI short shifter. I have use the standard shifter and the STI and I think the STI is well worth it and much shorter.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

I'm trying to decide between the two myself. I'm kinda leaning towards the factory short shifter (which is AKA the STi short shifter.) I was going to have the dealership install this (for warranty purposes) when getting my clutch checked, but they want to charge around $450. ***** that. I'm kinda leary about doing this install myself, unless it's just bolt on. I'm really intimidated by doing anything underneith the car.

verbel...

i just looked at the cost...

the kartboy is $135...that's it...mostly because it is the shifter lever as oppossed to the entire assembly...

your call though....my .02
    -Brian

Originally posted by verbal
    I'm trying to decide between the two myself. I'm kinda leaning towards the factory short shifter (which is AKA the STi short shifter.) I was going to have the dealership install this (for warranty purposes) when getting my clutch checked, but they want to charge around $450. ***** that. I'm kinda leary about doing this install myself, unless it's just bolt on. I'm really intimidated by doing anything underneith the car.
    I did the install. It takes a bit of time, but if you have jack stands, get your wrenches and go at it. If you have small hands, you've got a huge advantage over me. I believe most of the bolts are 12mm.

misterx

If you get the Kartboy SS make sure you buy the bushings also.
    Feels nice.

Originally posted by PKer
    If you get the Kartboy SS make sure you buy the bushings also.
    Feels nice.
    that's what everyone says...

i am going to install my shifter this weekend and do the bushings when there isn't any snow or ice on the ground...
    -Brian

Originally posted by WRC_Obsessed
    that's what everyone says...

i am going to install my shifter this weekend and do the bushings when there isn't any snow or ice on the ground...
    i love the kartboy. i had it in for 2 weeks w/o the bushings, but it's better with them. the thing is great. i can't imagine paying more than double that for a short shifter. the final result is the same, and the cost is over 2X? come on, it is after all just a short shifter. plus, the ease of install with the KB FAR exceeds that of replacing an entire linkage. that's rediculous. it's just a simple geometry change...

$135 is too much. i believe mine was $100, and the bushings were $30.

dR

Originally posted by dark_rex
    $135 is too much. i believe mine was $100, and the bushings were $30.

dR
    $135 w/bushings...
    -Brian

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast