Drivetrain Clunking

This is a discussion on Drivetrain Clunking within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i just had my new clutch install and I assume that it is grabing much better than my stock ...

Drivetrain Clunking

Well i just had my new clutch install and I assume that it is grabing much better than my stock one. I just got the clutch broken in and last night i was driving it with some WOT runs now that it is broken in. I normally slip 2nd a little bit but im getitng used to the new pedel pressure and i came off on 2nd kind of harder than i normally do, well I hear a loud clunk which sounds like its comming from right underneath my shifter. I had my buddy in the car and we both were like WTF? So i get to another light and i do it again and i shift my normal shift just with a tiny less slip and again i hear the CLUNK! Almost a pop. I heard something similar to this in my 2002 and then 3 months later i was putting in a new rear diff. I am assuming that i am at the edge of my powertrain limits with my setup. Does anyone think that this might be the center diff? ideas to maybe solving it.

I run uncle scottys cocktail in the tranny, mobile 1 in the rear diff 75-90w I also just changed the rear diff fluid and when i drained it there was no metal at all on the magnet. I filled it till it started to come out of the top set screw where i was filling it. tighened it all up and seems fine. Ideas?
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ODJ
    I'm sorry to hear about this. Do you get the noise every time you shift into second, in every rev range? Is there a chance you knocked a tooth off of your second gear?

I wish I had some better guesses for you. Good luck sorting it out.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

No it makes this sound at peak trq in every gear but first. Sat night i raced a new mustang GT and i was destroying it so i would let off the throttle and let him catch back up the hammer back down on it and pull away again, and when i shifted into 4th i had to knocks. This could be my front axles slapping but there is slack somewhere in the drive train. I may have to bit the bullet on this one and upgrade the drivetrain, im just getting into to much power for the stock system. = (

Mainly 2nd, 3rd, 4th are the gears i hear the cluncking..
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

In my 07 WRX I had a similar problem. And so did my buddy with his 06 WRX. But it was during launching. Im shure its the power going to ur Diff. Well atleast thats what I heard. I just dont pop that clutch at all and I dont have that problem. But the clunk comes right under the car yes

I Support ClubWRX
    You do know what the rear diff clunk sounds like right? It may very well be this. Try slowing down your shifts and see if it goes away.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    You do know what the rear diff clunk sounds like right? It may very well be this. Try slowing down your shifts and see if it goes away.
    Yep i am unfortunatly too familure with the rear diff clunk, I also modded my 2002 and broke the rear diff and had to swap it out, WHAT A PITA! This "clunking sounds" do not come from just the shift point, i am very smooth when i shift and slip in the power, and not untill the clutch is fully engaged and rolling do i go WOT, now it does happen also with a hard launch which i did once to see if it made the simular sounds, and it did, but i was fully engaged into 4th gear and at WOT and when it reached near peak torq it clunked twice. But its not all the time either, arg its frustrating.

Today on my way to work I was running with a brand new NSX and we gave it quite a few 20-25 mph to 60mph ( short little pulls ) and i was pulling on him and it didnt make the clunk sounds..

So happens when engaged and happens during the engage.
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods