rev matching
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on rev matching within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After reading the tranny thread its got me scared about the wrx i just picked up this weekend, so in ...

rev matching

After reading the tranny thread its got me scared about the wrx i just picked up this weekend, so in order to keep my tranny in the best possible shape i wanted to ask how you guys go about rev matching. Ive got an idea of what it is and i think in the few days i have owned the wrx i have learned how to drive it relatively well. when going to shift from gear to gear this is what i do
    1. push in clutch and let off gas simultaneously
    2. put into next gear, ie first to second, second to third and so on
    3. release clutch and press gas in a proportion that the shift isnt felt. What I mean is, when im done shifting gears if you are riding in the car you cant feel that i ever shifted.

Would this be the way to go about things, im sure that just shifting fast and dumping the clutch would create a shock in the car hence grenading the weak tranny.

Thanks in advance for the opinions

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

$0.02

Quote Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
    After reading the tranny thread its got me scared about the wrx i just picked up this weekend, so in order to keep my tranny in the best possible shape i wanted to ask how you guys go about rev matching. Ive got an idea of what it is and i think in the few days i have owned the wrx i have learned how to drive it relatively well. when going to shift from gear to gear this is what i do
    1. push in clutch and let off gas simultaneously
    2. put into next gear, ie first to second, second to third and so on
    3. release clutch and press gas in a proportion that the shift isnt felt. What I mean is, when im done shifting gears if you are riding in the car you cant feel that i ever shifted.

Would this be the way to go about things, im sure that just shifting fast and dumping the clutch would create a shock in the car hence grenading the weak tranny.

Thanks in advance for the opinions
    You've got the idea - shifts should be smooth. The closer you are on the rev's the smoother it will be. It's pretty easy on the upshift, a bit more challenging for downshifting.

Mods such as lightened pulley and/or flywheel will also change the way you shift when rev matching due to their effect on rotational mass. In my case, changing to a lightened pulley effectively let me shift faster because the engine moves through the rev range a bit quicker. Food for thought.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Rev matching just means you modulate the throttle when shifting so the speed of the flywheel matches the speed of clutch disk. It usually pertains more to downshifting than upshifting. When downshifting you have to rev the engine to match the rpms of the lower gear, whereas in upshifting you just have to time the shift correctly so you let the clutch out at the right rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerophyre View Post
    Rev matching just means you modulate the throttle when shifting so the speed of the flywheel matches the speed of clutch disk. It usually pertains more to downshifting than upshifting. When downshifting you have to rev the engine to match the rpms of the lower gear, whereas in upshifting you just have to time the shift correctly so you let the clutch out at the right rpms.
    well i try to do the same method i mentioned above when downshifting as well, but I really only downshift when i go around a corner thats too tight for me to maintain speed or when i go up a hill that requires me to down shift. although i found out quick that this car actually has power as upposed to my civic which had no power and you had to downshift and cut off the ac haha

WRX's are alittle tricky to learn as far as shifting goes. You cant just bang through the gears like a 2 wheel drive car. Dont worry though youll learn it quickly. You seem to be on the right track.
    Last edited by Aerophyre; 12-05-2006 at 06:07 PM.

yeah everything seems fine so far, im just scared to drive it cause i dont want to mess up the tranny, but so far i have had zero gear grinds and zero mishifts and one poor attempt to show my ass at a stop sign and i realized that awd is nothing like fwd haha

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.