clutch help!

This is a discussion on clutch help! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Someone please tell me I didnt mess up my clutch logn story short: on a hill at at a redlight ...

clutch help!

Someone please tell me I didnt mess up my clutch

logn story short:
    on a hill at at a redlight
    guy behind me stopped 6 inches from my bumper
    when light turned green was on gas way to fast and not off clutch fast enough, motor revd to 5500 rpm then down real quickly as I corrected my noob mistake
    smelled a burning smell for about 2 min after and then is dissipated....car seemd to drive normally

would this have caused serious harm to my clutch or am I gonna be ok since this doesnt ever happen to me(I have an 06 WRX with 2500 miles on it ifg that helps)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your fine but don't repeat it. Use the handbrake on inclines.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah no major damage, just be careful on hills and use the handbrake if necessary.

you just lit the fuse on your car, its going to self destruct in 5......4......3.......2.......1...... BOOM!
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    you just lit the fuse on your car, its going to self destruct in 5......4......3.......2.......1...... BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze
    Someone please tell me I didnt mess up my clutch

logn story short:
    on a hill at at a redlight
    guy behind me stopped 6 inches from my bumper
    when light turned green was on gas way to fast and not off clutch fast enough, motor revd to 5500 rpm then down real quickly as I corrected my noob mistake
    smelled a burning smell for about 2 min after and then is dissipated....car seemd to drive normally

would this have caused serious harm to my clutch or am I gonna be ok since this doesnt ever happen to me(I have an 06 WRX with 2500 miles on it ifg that helps)
    Why was he so close to your rear bumper?

Did he brake hard to stop or was it just idiotically intentional? If so, I would have stepped out to check if he didn't hit the bumper and made sure he gets the point that he's a ****ing idiot.

Your clutch should be fine. One time slip won't do too much demage but make sure you treat it nice in the future. I recommend doing some test runs on some kind of a deserted incline just to get a feel.

Anyway, the best as it's been mentioned is to use the hand brake. Not all the way though. Just enough to keep the car from rolling back but weak enough for the car to start going forward with some throttle.

You can also try balancing clutch with braking by holding the brake pedal and letting the clutch slowly until it starts engaging. Once the engine resonds to the load, keep letting the clutch and move your right foot off of the brake pedal to the gas and apply just enough gas to raise the RPMs to about 500-700 above idle. Depending on the incline you may use more RPMs but nothing as extreme as 5500. Once the car starts rolling forward let the clutch all the way - do not ride it.

Now imagine doing this with an 80,000 lb tractor-trailer on an incline with passanger cars sitting on your bumper. Fun!
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube