Short Throw Shifter Discussion (Various Brands)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Throw Shifter Discussion (Various Brands) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking into gettint a short shifter and was just wondering... when you put in the Kartboy shifter the knob ...

short shifter question

I'm looking into gettint a short shifter and was just wondering...

when you put in the Kartboy shifter the knob is about 1" lower than OE. The Subaru short shifter kit comes with another piece that raises the shifter back to OE height, but the throw isn't as short...so can I get JUST the part from Subaru that raises the shifter and use a different aftermarket shifter...can I get just that one part?

also, I saw this Aluminum short shifter...can't remember the name of it at the moment but I think there's only one aluminum one on the market...anyone have experience with them? looks a lot more srutdy than the kartboy or OE shifter
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The aluminum billet shifter you saw is probably the BPM shifter(the new version that is).

yeah, that sounds right...so how is it?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

EXPENSIVE!!!!

As far as performance goes...I am not sure about the particular shifter you are talking about but in general, B & M tends to make real quality stuff. My hubbie has a B&M ripper shifter in his Transam and we love it. Well, at least thats my experience with it. Can't complain about the quality, the only problem(for me at least) was the price. Hope this helps.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah B&M makes good products as far as I know. BPM is a different company....I actually don't have their shifter yet, but I was checking it out(along with a replica from the rally shop) and since it's billet alu, it seemed quite strong. I didn't get any measurements unfortunately to compare...but I don't think it's as short throw as the Kartboy(just a little less). It is however a fantastic looking piece...something you'd want to your shiftboot hanging just to see the raw satin alu.

Sorry. I misread. That's what happens when you're at work and people are walking past you all the time. Doesn't give you time to catch small things like different letters.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

short shifters

what is the best short shifter the WRX, and why

The two main ones that people like are Kartboy and the STi short shifters because of their responsivness and the feel. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

How much are they? Is there a cheap place to get them? By the way, is the WRX cable actuated or rod linkage?
    In time people will see who you truly are.

2007 Urban Grey Metallic Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Hawkeye Alliance #71

I'm not sure, but I believe that the WRX transmission is an internal shift rail... Neither rod or cable actuated (which are external).

Then again I could be completely mistaken. :-)

Kartboy is 130 with bushings STi is around 200 I think. I put in my kartboy two days ago and it's pretty good. I think the stock was smoother, this is more aggressive and stiff, I might have it to tight though. They say it hits the front plate in 1st and 3rd which mine does but I don't even notice really.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

I like the ILP from ILP Performance. The quality is great!

I just installed my Kartboy w/ bushings this week. It is possibly one of the easiest installs imaginable. The whole process took about 20 minutes. IMO, the shifting is considerably more aggressive with a better feel. If you follow the instructions on scoobymods.com, the shifter won't rub in first gear. $130 well spent.

Not to mention, Kartboy's(kartboy.com) service was excellant. I ordered late Friday afternoon and I had the shifter in my hands by noon on Monday-in Tampa. Plus, they filled the shipping box full of candy.
    Last edited by cnoff; 07-28-2002 at 09:37 AM.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

Originally posted by cnoff
    Plus, they filled the shipping box full of candy.
    REALLY?!?! ...shoot, im going to order one right now (even without owning a WRX).

I heard the install can be done from inside the car?! When i changed out my shortshifter on the Si it was from underneith (rod linkage actuated).
    In time people will see who you truly are.

2007 Urban Grey Metallic Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Hawkeye Alliance #71

we have a short throw shifter that I think you'd enjoy quite nicely.

It reduces the throw 40 % and is the cheapest on the market as far as I see

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.