Transmission knocking am I screwed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Transmission knocking am I screwed? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so for a little bit whenever i put it into second i could hear a faint knocking noise got ...

Transmission knocking am I screwed?

Ok so for a little bit whenever i put it into second i could hear a faint knocking noise got slightly worse so i started skipping 2nd till i could get it into the shop and have a car available to me. so today was the day "quick" trip to the DMV to get my new plates then to the dealership to have it looked at well on my way to the dmv i for whatever reason down shifted into second to pass someone and oh the racket it made i looked over every inch of my dash nothing seemed out of place. now I'm sitting at the light two blocks from the DMV and that faint knocking i only heard in 2nd is now knocking... not in gear at all. light turns green put it into 1st sound goes away till i shift into second and now its 3 times as loud as it was before. i quickly shift into 3rd and baby my way into the dmv parking lot get my new plates and head straight to the dealer. well now they want me to ok 2k worth of labor in case its not covered under my warranty I'm at about 58k now but when i bought the car from a subaru dealer i bought an extended 70k gold + something or other i figured that should cover all my power train shouldn't it? why would they be asking for 16 hours of labor to be authorized if it should be covered? does this not seem like a transmission problem? Are they not telling me something and just trying to stick me with a crap ton of labor? they said the 16 hrs is to take the trans out tear it apart put it back together and put it back in. Seems odd they want me to ok putting a possibly busted trans back into my car.

-edit: 2012 wrx hatch

Any thoughts would be appreciated even if it is to just tell me I'm screwed lol
    thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have a warranty. Escalate to Subaru rep. Sign no commitment for labor.
    After a little while I felt a little better, but very little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room. Fairwell, My Lovely
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what do you mean escalate to a subaru rep? like call Subaru the manufacturer?

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

now that I'm thinking about this more shouldn't this be covered by the 60k drivetrain warranty ? i mean sure I'm pushing it with being at 58k but still.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. There's no such thing as "pushing it." You are under 60K.
    After a little while I felt a little better, but very little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room. Fairwell, My Lovely
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My guess is they want you to cover labor in case they find something that would void your warranty. Or, at least, something they can claim voids your warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's clear to me too. However that's not in the contract. I recommend OP fall back on the letter of the contract. OP paid, now it's time to benefit -- unless OP has abused or modified the vehicle of course.

Contact Subaru of America, then take your car to another Subaru dealer to have it fixed under warranty.

If that dealership gets paid by Subaru for your repairs I'd rather have another shop get paid that didn't try to screw you out of money on something that is covered by warranty.

I figure they can charge you more than what Subaru will compensate them to fix it so they are just trying to take advantage of you for the extra cash.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better about the issue. No I have not modified the car except audio. I did contact SOA they said it was odd also let them know its not the first time I've come out of pocket for something that should have been covered so they are looking into it and asked for receipts. Hopefully this gets squared not trying to pay for a new trans.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted without any hassle now.

Was it the same dealership that charged you last time?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Different physical dealership but there is one service rep that i have seen at both places even though they have different names (well they are just named after the area they are in) so could be the same owner for all I know.

-edit: to clarify the dealerships have different names not the guy I've seen at both spots lol

So now the dealership is saying that the intercooler has been modified I purposely have not touched the car performance wise because i bought the damn extended warranty. If the car was modded before I bought it from subaru shouldn't they have sold it As is no warranty and not offered me an extended one?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. Escalate to a rep or beyond if necessary.

whelp...guess i just have to wait and see what SOA says ... seems like this is gonna take a while ... yaaaaay

Popcorn.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.