2015 WRX with 52K miles, Clutch / Throw out bearing going?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX with 52K miles, Clutch / Throw out bearing going? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, So, As the subi tradition goes. The throw out bearings and clutch issues have carried on. Currently my ...

  1. #1
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX

    2015 WRX with 52K miles, Clutch / Throw out bearing going?

    Hey all,

    So, As the subi tradition goes. The throw out bearings and clutch issues have carried on. Currently my car is suspected of a bad TOB / "clutch assembly" as stated on the paperwork from my dealer. I contacted SOA and they offered to pay 500 of the 1400 dollar estimated bill.

    My question is, who has recently delt with this ussue from the 2015's or even previous models... My dealer told me that the TOB could be covered under warranty but that they replace the whole clutch assembly as a kit, but somehow I'm getting shifted the bill for the rest?

    Not really trying to complain, just trying to understand the rational here and why they would only cover the TOB and not the whole assembly since its changed out as a whole if the TOB is replaced....

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    lit fam XJman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    At work
    Posts
    4,975
    Perhaps because they view the clutch itself as a wear item?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

  4. #3
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    Perhaps because they view the clutch itself as a wear item?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I understand the clutch disk is, but the bearing?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    lit fam XJman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    At work
    Posts
    4,975
    I don't know, I couldn't believe any of it was covered under the warranty but from what I've seen it is now

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

  7. #5
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    I don't know, I couldn't believe any of it was covered under the warranty but from what I've seen it is now

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, Dont get me wrong I get the whole concept as well. But then I started seeing people that are saying they have gotten SOA or their dealership to cover the whole thing. And my rational was "well, its just a bearing that *technically* isnt a wear item" and I considered it somewhat in the same line as a wheel hub bearing. All its job is, is to spin and not wear.

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    88
    Can you tell me what kind of symptoms your vehicle was facing for the dealership to advise you of this? Ive had the throwout bearing noice on my car since new (only in the morning/ under 60 degrees) and kinda shrugged it off because everyone said it was normal. I am wondering If I should bring this to my dealers attention.

  9. #7
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    3,285
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    Yeah, Dont get me wrong I get the whole concept as well. But then I started seeing people that are saying they have gotten SOA or their dealership to cover the whole thing. And my rational was "well, its just a bearing that *technically* isnt a wear item" and I considered it somewhat in the same line as a wheel hub bearing. All its job is, is to spin and not wear.
    Potentailly, but most certainly not with already 50k+ miles on the clock. The ones you are hearing of are all probably at fairly low miles. Since the clutch is a ware item they will most certainly not cover that, but you already expected that. I could see that the argument could be made to get SOA to comp the labor though, as that's something you would not have to pay for until the clutch needs replaced. Prematurely doing so due to the bad TOB is not your fault and in my mind should be covered by SOA. If I were in your shoes I would be comfortable paying for only the cost of the new clutch as the labor involved in swapping the TOB is the same as the clutch. Make argument and see what they have to say.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

  10. #8
    Village Idiot McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    3,285
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by moarboost! View Post
    Can you tell me what kind of symptoms your vehicle was facing for the dealership to advise you of this? Ive had the throwout bearing noice on my car since new (only in the morning/ under 60 degrees) and kinda shrugged it off because everyone said it was normal. I am wondering If I should bring this to my dealers attention.
    My old WRX had this same issue. I've never seen the TOB noise as being the potential to cause any damage. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Even if you get something replaced like OP, they will just replace it with the same part that has the same chance of starting to get noisy again. I've seen all too many people go to the dealership complaining about this problem, the dealership says "oh, bad TOB. We will replace it" only to have to come in 5k miles later for the same issue because they still use the same part. SOA doesn't have a better part for this and they have refused to acknowledge the problem/complaint because it isn't known to cause any failures.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

  11. #9
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Potentailly, but most certainly not with already 50k+ miles on the clock. The ones you are hearing of are all probably at fairly low miles. Since the clutch is a ware item they will most certainly not cover that, but you already expected that. I could see that the argument could be made to get SOA to comp the labor though, as that's something you would not have to pay for until the clutch needs replaced. Prematurely doing so due to the bad TOB is not your fault and in my mind should be covered by SOA. If I were in your shoes I would be comfortable paying for only the cost of the new clutch as the labor involved in swapping the TOB is the same as the clutch. Make argument and see what they have to say.
    Yeah, I was in the same frame of mind. I personally have the means and ability to do the job myself and it turns out the 500 is able to be used for parts OR service. So I went ahead and said hell with it and took that. I dont plan on sticking with a OEM clutch and down the road here soon (summer of this coming year) I plan to rip the OEM clutch out and start doing drivetrain mods with a heavy duty clutch and some suspension work so i can start to reliably track the car and not burn it up on the track. I'm going to try and get things opened up and look at in detail and see to make sure the slider shaft the bearing rides on isnt wearing and if not, just replace the throw out bearing if the clutch checks out. Then the rest will go to a stockpile of filters, extra set of spark plugs, and maybe an engine block heater if I can find one (I live in new england and winter is a little brutal. wouldnt mind the engine being warm so its kinder on cold cold mornings for starting.)

  12. #10
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    My old WRX had this same issue. I've never seen the TOB noise as being the potential to cause any damage. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Even if you get something replaced like OP, they will just replace it with the same part that has the same chance of starting to get noisy again. I've seen all too many people go to the dealership complaining about this problem, the dealership says "oh, bad TOB. We will replace it" only to have to come in 5k miles later for the same issue because they still use the same part. SOA doesn't have a better part for this and they have refused to acknowledge the problem/complaint because it isn't known to cause any failures.
    You know, This really made me wonder why SOA is wasting their time and money on this issue. If they put effective R&D into developing a durable and reliable bearing, and even if the part itself cost twice as much to make. It just cost them 500 for mine alone, and for hundreds of thousands im sure alone. And then the labor is a huge expense too. I'm used to crazy labor from the aviation field as a mechanic but to replace this stupid bearing that probably costs them 30 dollars to make and take 700 in labor (ish) to replace. Just so ineffective.

  13. #11
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by moarboost! View Post
    Can you tell me what kind of symptoms your vehicle was facing for the dealership to advise you of this? Ive had the throwout bearing noice on my car since new (only in the morning/ under 60 degrees) and kinda shrugged it off because everyone said it was normal. I am wondering If I should bring this to my dealers attention.
    Some mornings when the clutch was still cold (or bearing, couldnt tell you for sure at this moment what it was exactly)

    BUT

    It would be very loud whirring noise that had that roughness sound to it. I found a video that kinda sounds like it (link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0m_8CtgTQ

    And now, almost all the time. I hear a constant whirring noise (quiet) when driving.

  14. #12
    Registered User VWynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    214
    This is interesting.

    I have a 2016 with 17.6k miles on it. Ever since the weather dropped, I've been hearing that noise upon startup till the car warmed up.

    I saw someone commented on a YouTube post and said Subaru admitted to him the bad throw out bearing causes your clutch and input shaft to mess up and they gave him $2,000 towards a new WRX. He also stated they didn't yet have a replacement throw out bearing, just the factory one that's messing up.

    It seems to be a common issue but whether what the guy posted is correct or not is worrisome. Imagine if this issue is minor for now but it's wearing something else or other things down. Once it's out of warranty, that's a hefty repair bill.

  15. #13
    Registered User Goose42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,700
    A recent entry in my Journal, as I do not feel like typing it over...

    " I went in this past Friday for a regular service interval, as well as the TOB. The Service Manager, when I first mentioned the TOB, asked if the symptom "reversed". He knew exactly what my issues is; from day one on cold starts, depress the pedal to the floor and a squeal begins, basically until the car warms up, then it goes away... By "reverse", I mean that basically non-stop, the squeal is there, it only goes away when I depress the clutch pedal to the floor. This started at 25,000 miles. The Service Manager stated that they could replace the TOB now, but odds are it would fail over time. He mentioned that they are currently working on a new replacement part for the TOB, and once released, we will schedule the repair."

    Not saying my experience will assist you with yours, but based on my conversations, SOA is aware of it.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

    2017 ISM Impreza 5MT Hatchback Sport

    2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune (Sold)

    Journal-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

  16. #14
    Registered User VWynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    DMV
    Posts
    214
    I wonder will this be issued as a recall or on a case by case basis. I'm also interested in if this causes any damage to any other components or if it's simply noise.

  17. #15
    The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    174
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    A recent entry in my Journal, as I do not feel like typing it over...

    " I went in this past Friday for a regular service interval, as well as the TOB. The Service Manager, when I first mentioned the TOB, asked if the symptom "reversed". He knew exactly what my issues is; from day one on cold starts, depress the pedal to the floor and a squeal begins, basically until the car warms up, then it goes away... By "reverse", I mean that basically non-stop, the squeal is there, it only goes away when I depress the clutch pedal to the floor. This started at 25,000 miles. The Service Manager stated that they could replace the TOB now, but odds are it would fail over time. He mentioned that they are currently working on a new replacement part for the TOB, and once released, we will schedule the repair."

    Not saying my experience will assist you with yours, but based on my conversations, SOA is aware of it.
    Can we get any documentation stating this?

    If this is true.... Half Life 3 is confirmed as well as new TOB solution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •