Subaru WRX Forum banner

ACT Streetlite or Oem flywheel?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  strudinox 
#1 ·
I dont know if i should go for the ACT street lite or just the Oem flywheel. This is gonna be paired with a New OEM exedy Clutch kit that i ordered already. Dont know what to get because Oem one runs for $300 bucks online and the ACT Streetlite is 260. I have an 04 WRX and i leaning more toward the Streetlite, but then again i don't know how much weight the flywheel can be until it throws a CEL. By the way, how does the streetlite feel?

#4 ·
Is the car stock? If so, OE flywheel. If it's modified (or soon to be), considering a LWFW isn't a horrible idea. Don't have delusions of grandeur that your car will be OMGracecar with a LWFW, but it can "sporty" up the drive a bit for when you're out on a weekend romp in the twisties.

As said, there will be an adjustment period while you adjust to the lightened flywheel, but after a while, you'll be fine. The ACT StreetLite is heavy enough that it shouldn't cause the phantom misfire issue that people talk about; that is generally reserved for the significantly lighter units.

I've liked the cars I've driven with that LWFW (other LWFWs, not as much); when my clutch finally goes on my car, I will install one.

UEDan said:
Though not recommended by Subaru, you can resurface the OEM flywheel if its not in horrible condition.
If you have the ability to DIY a clutch/flywheel install, I would say resurface is an option. If you're paying shop labor to install, I would say it's not worth the "gamble"; you wouldn't want to pay for labor a second time if the resurfaced flywheel has issues in say 5-10K miles.

#6 ·
You'll for sure notice it. The throttle is much more touchy with the Street Light. When you're coming from a complete stop you just have to give it a bit more throttle than you're use to doing to compensate for the loss of engine momentum. It's just a matter of getting use to it really. Once you do you won't even think about it. It's absolutely worth it in my opinion. Someday, when my clutch goes out, I plan on installing one.

The best part is watching other people such as service technicians try to drive your car and repeatedly stall it. :wiggles:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.