Resistance going into 1st gear. 2011 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Resistance going into 1st gear. 2011 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! I bought a 2011 WRX with 41k on it. I've driven a few manuals but this one is ...

Resistance going into 1st gear. 2011 wrx

Hey everyone! I bought a 2011 WRX with 41k on it. I've driven a few manuals but this one is a bit weird and I'm not sure if it's normal. I drove the car a few times with no issues and today I had resistance going into first gear and a little resistance going into second. I'm new to manuals so I'm not sure where to begin. Any help would be great! I searched and couldn't find the problem listed. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When you tried to go into first, were you at a complete stop?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I was at a complete stop and I've tried at a slight roll. It also does it occasionally going into second.

If it's not grinding and if you're not forcing it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Okay. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I've been gentle with it. since it's used im not entirely sure what's the deal with it. What color should the trans fluid be if it's been in there for a while? It's just going to take some getting used to. Thanks for the quick replies also. It is greatly appreciated.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mioutback4 View Post
    Okay. I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I've been gentle with it. since it's used im not entirely sure what's the deal with it. What color should the trans fluid be if it's been in there for a while? It's just going to take some getting used to. Thanks for the quick replies also. It is greatly appreciated.
    If it's been in there for a while it'll be leaning towards amber.
    The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

Wow. That was the opposite color i had expected. It's grey right now. Thanks.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mioutback4 View Post
    Wow. That was the opposite color i had expected. It's grey right now. Thanks.
    ...grey?..flush that.
    The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

I appreciate it. Transmissions are my grey area that scare me. The dealer said it was all good. Then I pulled the dip stick to the trans and grey.

Yeah, changing the fluid should hopefully make a big difference.

What would a bump feeling be in the shifter?

I have a similar experience with my 1st gear shift. Almost like it catches once then again when further pushed. I haven't checked the fluid though but did order to change out I'm I at 61k miles. Going to be doing. Most of the 60k maintence myself

When I test drove the car it came straight from the owner to the dealer. No maintenance. I'm wondering if the previous owner had additive in the trans or if the bushings are quite worn. The fluid is clear and clean. Still hard to get into first. It feels notched out almost.

I'm beyond scared it's my synchro....

Mine can be a little bit stubborn going into first, but I wouldn't call it "resistance". When at a complete stop, sometimes it's a little tricky to get 1st and reverse to line up the teeth and get a smooth shift. Just leaving it in Neutral and letting out the clutch and then trying again does the trick to get the gear teeth to get better lined up. I don't have any problems getting into second though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.