Subaru WRX Forum banner

FXT TCU in WRX CVT

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Germz to Japz 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if the Transmission Control Unit from a Forester XT will work in the WRX CVT? I'm trying to find out if there is a way to eliminate the "step shifting" my CVT does in I and S modes. (The step shifting essentially eliminates any of the benefits one would receive by using a CVT) The transmission in the FXT doesn't step shift in I or S mode unless you use the paddles, or manual mode. If I can use the TCU from the FXT, that would be a simple fix, especially if I can find somebody to just swap with me. I'm a bit concerned about whether it would play nice with my ECU since it is completely different than the one in the FXT. Any info helpful.

Thanks.

#2 ·
i could be wrong but from what I've googled... i don't think you will be able to switch it in and make it work since it's a different set up... you might need to go to a shop that can reconfigure the ECU settings for this to work... at least from what I've read online it wouldn't work properly since they are mechanically a different system from each other... sorry... :(

#4 ·
i don't think you will be able to switch it in and make it work since it's a different set up.
Yeah, that's been the general consensus. Thanks for the opinion, about everybody agrees with you.

Are you asking about the current FXT with the CVT?
Yes, that's what I was talking about. I've also emailed SOA and they say there's no additional programming available. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for a tuner to tap the CVT. Gonna be a long wait...(fingers tapping...)

#3 ·
It's highly unlikely considering the CVT is an entirely different technology.

I seem to recall the CVT can be controlled through the ECU mapping -- Makes sense since it should be a part of the CAN.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your post. Are you asking about the current FXT with the CVT?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.