2015 WRX pop slow reverse while turning
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX pop slow reverse while turning within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been trying to look for an answer or anything online about an issue with my new 2015 WRX. ...

2015 WRX pop slow reverse while turning

I have been trying to look for an answer or anything online about an issue with my new 2015 WRX. Usually happens when it's cold out and the car has been parked either over night or after my 10 hrs shift when I'm going in reverse and turning the wheel slowly while creeping back not to hit cars in my parking stall, the car make a single pop/clunk/thunk sound.
    Makes me always think I have hit a car behind me even when there's no car in the parking lot and one time I was driving forward turning my wheel all the way to the left trying to fit through an area by my garage avoiding the big semi parked in front of my apartment, I thought I hit the garage cause it made the exact thump sound only creeping forward. It always feels like it rolls an inch (maybe this part is in my head) when this sound happens. Even my wife and my brother at some point while in the car has ask what the heck that was and I clearly have no idea.

When I'm out and about driving it doesn't do it. I'd even try showing it to a buddy at work but then it doesn't do it...grrr.
    Is this normal for a Subaru?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's under warranty, bring it to the dealer.
    You could also jack it up and check the tie rods, also the control arms.
    Something could be loose, definitely have it checked out.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I remember a similar post not too long ago. If it's the same thing, I think it may also be normal. Has to do with the transmission, or diffs or something drivetrain related...sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the older thread.
    Just remember it being something normal
    Stinkeye member 520

Not something I've experienced with my '15. If nothing else you could just call the dealer and see if they have any idea/TSB's etc.
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” - Clarkson

Probably your tires popping. I have had that with an old Charger SRT-8 I had, when it was cold and reversing with the steering locked, and I get the same thing in the mornings with my ISF.

When the tires are cold they don't grip, so they can kind of "pop" and slip a tiny bit when you're backing up at an angle. It won't happen when they warm up because they're grippier/softer.

That may be what you're hearing, you should have someone stand outside the car and look/listen next time it's cold and you're reversing. They might see the tire popping or hear it from there.
    2015 WRX Limited on order, due in May!
    2008 Lexus IS-F
    2005 Dodge SRT-4 (for sale, ~500whp)

The post mentioned by nsibanez was mine. I had this SAME issue. I even had the dealer take a look at it. They claim it's a differential noise and is PERFECTLY normal. Honestly I've since then installed 15mm front and 25mm rear spacers. The noise is gone. I think it was tire noise personally. Turning radius is tight, and these tires when cold slip and pop.

Bottom line, don't worry too much about it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.