2005 wrx sti transmission questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2005 wrx sti transmission questions within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i recently bought a 05 wrx with an sti swap with a blown transmission. i was wondering how much a ...

vor

2005 wrx sti transmission questions

i recently bought a 05 wrx with an sti swap with a blown transmission. i was wondering how much a transmission for an sti will cost. also wondering what years are compatible with 2005. if anyone can answer any of my questions it would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    On average, just the transmission itself would be like 3-4k. Obviously that's just an avg price, there's deals to be had on the various forums like iwsti, here, nasioc, etc. Clutch kit will be around 300 for a stock replacement.

vor
    I started to take apart the transmission and i think that i can rebuild it if i find the parts, but the transmission is a stock wrx transmission. can i run an sti engine off the wrx transmission or do i need to buy a new sti transmission to handle the torque?

Thats up to you.
    As you saw, the STi motor killed the WRX Transmission. A stock WRX motor can also kills a WRX transmission if you dump the clutch a few times too many.

Depends on what you want to do with the car, are you planning on doing a lot of hard launches? Is it a daily driver?

vor
    It would be my daily driver just want the extra power there in case i want to have some fun. I will drive it like i stole it every now and then. Just wanted to save some money with the wrx transmission since i put a lot into the motor.

yes you can mate every transmission up to a subaru engine. doesnt matter if its a 2.0 or 2.5. the foresters, legacy, wrx, sti all use the same bellhousing.

they all have diffrent types of slave cylinders and clutch forks but they will all bolt up to the existing spot and mate to any motor.. thats why so many people do swaps.

vor
    thanks for all the info guys, it is greatly appreciated. only have 1 last question, is there anything else i have to swap out other than the wiring harness for the sti engine? or should that be fine

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkimb01c View Post
    yes you can mate every transmission up to a subaru engine. doesnt matter if its a 2.0 or 2.5. the foresters, legacy, wrx, sti all use the same bellhousing.

they all have diffrent types of slave cylinders and clutch forks but they will all bolt up to the existing spot and mate to any motor.. thats why so many people do swaps.
    Just FYI, most of them all have different Final Drive ratios and gear ratios too. That would be important to know. Also the clutch type varies among models. So yes, you may need to replace clutch systems.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.