Throw out bearing problem?

This is a discussion on Throw out bearing problem? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving my car today and gave it some juice through 1st and 2nd gear, after I came to ...

Throw out bearing problem?

I was driving my car today and gave it some juice through 1st and 2nd gear, after I came to a stop I noticed that the clutch pedal felt for lack of a better term crunchy. This kept up for awhile . Then I put it in neutral and pumped the clutch pedal a few times and now it feels fine. Do I have an actual problem or am I being paranoid? Thanks
    Edit: the clutch engaged fine, the engagement itself felt smooth . The feeling seemed to come from the pedal itself .
    Last edited by 95beretta; 08-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey there,

I've had to replace a throw out bearing before - sadly, this is something that kind of plagues the wrx.

Its fairly easy to diagnose a faulty throw out bearing - you can actually hear it make noise on a cold engine start.
    When the clutch pedal is pressed in, you'll hear a whistling sound coming from under the car / the engine bay.
    Once you release the pedal, the sound stops. This goes on while you drive for the next 5-10 minutes, then goes away until the next cold start.

If you've haven't noticed the above mentioned sound, I don't think it is your throw out bearing.

Just my $0.02 - good luck.

...and may the boost be with you.

speaking of throw out bearing, my dealership confirmed my 12' needs to be replaced (@27k miles). it is a cpo vehicle and shouldn't cost me anything but i was wondering how long and intensive the repair is. im nervous that the car wont be the same afterwards. jw.

I've got both the TOB I'm not worried about since it's so common and no performance issues, and a noise with the clutch released which goes away when you depress yhe pedal...still not worried. Maybe yours is the same?
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by Amg14 View Post
    speaking of throw out bearing, my dealership confirmed my 12' needs to be replaced (@27k miles). it is a cpo vehicle and shouldn't cost me anything but i was wondering how long and intensive the repair is. im nervous that the car wont be the same afterwards. jw.
    I think there's a tsb on this where they install a shim with it which is supposed to get rid if the noise
    Stinkeye member 520

I have the same "crunchy" clutch feel when shift hard 1st to 2nd but goes away within minutes. Also the same sound in the morning. I showed my dealer a video of the cold start sound and clutch squeak, i even left my car there overnight so they can hear it. They always deny me and simply say that theres no problem with it and they cant "replicate the sound/feel. Is it really important to get the tob fixed when this is happening? How should i get my dealer to fix it?

I too have the cold start noise. I've been doing some reading on the forums and it seems to be very common. Some people said they have had the tob replaced only to have the noise return, so they just lived with it , with no problems. I'm debating on whether to bother getting it looked at or not.

I would call your dealer and talk to them about the noise - especially if you have a warranty.

Not only is the sound annoying as $hit, but I believe it can cause more damage over time if not addressed.
    My dealer replaced it no problem - they wanted to keep it overnight as well to try and replicate the sound the next morning. Faulty TOB at only 4k miles. Have another faulty TOB now..
    If I get another TOB issue after this, I'm going to see if the subaru of america will let me install a better clutch and throw out bearing than the $hit they ship these cars with, and ideally, they'd let me keep my warranty.
    But lets face it, their not going to be that cool...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxatx View Post
    I would call your dealer and talk to them about the noise - especially if you have a warranty.

Not only is the sound annoying as $hit, but I believe it can cause more damage over time if not addressed.
    My dealer replaced it no problem - they wanted to keep it overnight as well to try and replicate the sound the next morning. Faulty TOB at only 4k miles. Have another faulty TOB now..
    If I get another TOB issue after this, I'm going to see if the subaru of america will let me install a better clutch and throw out bearing than the $hit they ship these cars with, and ideally, they'd let me keep my warranty.
    But lets face it, their not going to be that cool...
    Stage2 clutch sounds nice... i may ask my dealer the same thing. I heard this TOB problem was on the previous gens aswell.....how does subaru not resolve this after a couple years?