Subaru WRX Forum banner

Shift Knob Styles: Opinions Wanted

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  AYSE 
#1 ·
I know that this is all a matter of opinion and what is comfortable to each individual using the knob. I am just curious to see what you guys are using in your ride. What type of knob (texture/material/manufacturer), What kind of style/shape do you prefer? and Why?

I am curious because I have a stock 5 speed knob. I really enjoy how it feels in my hand its a very comfortable fit in my opinion. I just really dislike the way it looks. A friend of mine has the STi 5pd knob which is not bad, I just don't think its as comfortable in hand as the stock shape. So I have been scouring the web for something that I feel would be a suitable replacement for the stock one, while still maintaining that comfort I seek. Additional note: I am going to put a short shifter and bushings in too (probably before the knob) and I figured if I get a round style knob like the Cobb knob, it will feel extremely short. Whereas if I get a knob similar to the Perrin knob, it should sit a little higher. I feel Like a teardrop shape (if that's the right term) would be what I end up with if I don't opt for the Perrin knob.

So let me hear what you all have to say about your knob. What sold you on your knob, and what do you love/ dislike about it?

#2 · (Edited)
I have a WC Lathewerks STi sphere with 5 grooves. Titanium blue to bronze finish. I love this knob because it is a good weight, which makes the shifting feel crisper, and it dropped the height of the knob a good 1". The look is awesome in my opinion (especially with the matching SI dial cover). Plus it feels good in my hand:p

#3 ·
I have a WC Lathewerks STi sphere with 5 grooves. Titanium blue to bronze finish. I love this knob because it is a good weight, which makes the shifting feel crisper, and it dropped the height of the knob a good 1". The look is awesome in my opinion (especially with the matching SI dial cover). Plus it feels good in my hand:p
I was looking at their products, they look very nice and appear to be made very well. I really like the Copolymer GF4 and the Hybrid GF4. I believe I was browsing the threads and saw you post about their product and that is what brought me to their site I don't want my knob to sit too low but I do want it to be lower, so I figured with a knob like that I could essentially offset the drop.

#5 ·
Temperature is a huge factor down here. It's 40C outside today and the sun is very bright. A metal shift knob that absorbs heat would make the car impossible to drive if it's been parked for even 15 minutes.

#10 ·
WC Lathewerks Co-polymer Piston Hybrid with leather wrap, shift etching, and red stitching. Love it. Never cold or hot. Looks awesome.

View attachment 159321
is this attached to stock short throw? (thats what I have now) or have you put it on shorter shifter with a lower stem? Just trying to get an idea how high they will sit when on a shorter shifter.

#12 ·
That is the perfect height!! I am sold. Definitely going with one of the piston styles or the GF4 round top!! (since they are the same height)

I find with the shorted shifter coupled with a small knob (ex: STi knob) seems to be unfitting for my driving preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.