Transmission whine
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Transmission whine within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all. I have a 2004 blobeye in standard form and suffer from an annoying whine from my drivetrain. The ...

Transmission whine

Hi all.

I have a 2004 blobeye in standard form and suffer from an annoying whine from my drivetrain.

The car has a slight whine in all gears which does not bother me, my main concern is when I put the car in neutral and coast.

When under no load and coasting in neutral a very distinctive whine is heard. Has anyone come across this before?

The car has had a new clutch and release bearing and the gearbox oil has been replaced.

Just find it strange that the whine magnifies when coasting and in neutral???

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My drive train is always loud when I'm moving. I just assumed that it was because my tires are worn to different diameters. When I got an alignment the sound got a bit quieter, though.
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    My drive train is always loud when I'm moving. I just assumed that it was because my tires are worn to different diameters. When I got an alignment the sound got a bit quieter, though.
    The whine i'm suffering from is definately not tyres.

To be fair the car does not have to be in neutral. If i'm moving along and depress the clutch the noise appears no matter what gear i'm in.

I believe that my noise is mostly the differentials whining due to the different tire sizes, rather than just tire on road noise; I meant to suggest that was the case but poorly worded the response.
    David - '05 WRX

tire size is important. you will get massive drivetrain friction if there is a difference in overall wheel diameter.

as far as the rest of it, we all get throwout bearings that wear out. they make a chattering whine, and in neutral, yes, they can make quite a ratcheting noise.

replacement of the bearing is fairly invasive and so therefore expensive... you might consider a new clutch and flywheel if they are also worn, something you will learn if you decide to replace the bearing. If you have the means to do the work yourself, the bearing is about $35-45 depending on brand/model.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.