TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings install

This is a discussion on TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings install within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had something very odd happen over the weekend when I installed these onto my '09 WRX and I am ...

TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings install

I had something very odd happen over the weekend when I installed these onto my '09 WRX and I am curious if anyone else has run into anything while installing these or something like them.

On the front portion of the crossmember there is a plate that has 2 bolts that are connected to it like a "U". I pulled it apart and put the new bushings in and replaced the nuts to hold everything together. The torque spec for these nuts is 51 ft/lbs. As I was tightening up the nuts, I made it to about 40-43 ft/lbs and it took the threads off of the bolts. After a bit of work I was able to get the pieces apart and I made a new plate out of mild steel strap. I then used brand new grade 10.9 hardened metric bolts, according to spec these are also rated to 51 ft/lbs. When I tigtened everything up I again it made it back to that 40-43 ft/lbs and this time it stretched the bolt. I replaced the bolts then just took it upto the high 30's in ft/lbs and called it good. When I did the other end of the crossmember I tried to take the 2 bolts up to torque and once I got back to that 40'ish ft'lbs I could feel it start to give and I stopped. Also none of the bolts were lubed with anti-seize or anything, they were all dry. I checked this with 2 different torque wrenches and they were both exactly the same so I don't think it was a matter of the wrench being out of calibration.

Has anyone else run into anything like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No but are you sure the specs are ft lbs and not Nm?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

According the the manual that I have the torque spec for those bolts is; 70 Nm, 7.1 kgf-m, 51.6 ft-lb. I usually use Nm but my second torque wrench only reads in ft-lb so I stuck with that.

Here is the page from the manual showing the specs. They are both designated "T4"
    Attached Files

I Support ClubWRX
    Do the new bushings affect the bolts at all, say in terms of depth or threads caught as you tighten?

When replacing the plate did you torque each side individually or did you uniformly torque each bolt only a little at a time (as one would do for, say, head bolts or any gasket bolts)?

I'm grasping at straws for loss of ideas.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.