For those thinking about getting a CVT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on For those thinking about getting a CVT within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Try something else. I now have close to 3000 miles on my car and for the most part its not ...

For those thinking about getting a CVT

Try something else.

I now have close to 3000 miles on my car and for the most part its not bad. However, I only drive in manual mode and there is a very good reason why (in my opinion). The reason why i only drive in manual mode is because the automatic mode sucks in S and S#. If you floor it, in auto, it feels like it is jerking through every ratio (no gears, yet there are still ratios). Some idiotic engineer actually thought it would feel sporty to have that programmed into the car when instead it feels like your about to stall for a split second as your going 80mph.

This is where its odd. In manual mode, i can floor it and tap through the ratios without a hiccup. You don't even feel the transitions, yet in auto it almost clunks into each ratio as if you weren't using the clutch properly on an MT.

All in all, its an ok car to drive in Intelligent mode while still in auto (it function much smoother, yet isn't as fast). But once i put it in S or S# it needs to be in manual or the car clunks its way through the ratios up to 100 or so then starts to smooth out.

Hopefully, Subaru puts the new engine into the STi soon so i can pick one up.
    Last edited by Mike0341; 06-23-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: switched gears to ratios since the CVT lacks gears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey your giving me second thoughts I still have a two month to opt out.

Can you talk about your previous car exp. I'm coming from a civic AT. Wondering if I should some how learn manual.

Any info would be appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    This sounds horrible. Isn't there still a manual option? I would have gone manual all day long. I hate auto transmissions.

Its not a bad car just to drive around but if you floor it then you will notice it start to mimic shift points. At first I didn't notice because I didn't floor it very often, yet lately its definitely noticeable since i typically drive using the "manual" option.

The "manual" option shifts pretty smooth so the transition is very noticeable when switching back to auto. Im just not a huge fan of the mimicry of the shift points because it takes away from the rush of accelerating.
    If you put in "manual" then it shifts much smoother and i have no clue why some engineer thought it was a good idea to have fake shift point programmed in while in auto.

All in all its a good car but i miss driving a stick and my confidence in this transmission is non existent. I want to go to track days but i really don't know if the CVT will handle it. I personally never expected to keep this car for more than 2 years so im not really losing out on anything in the long run. I needed a family sedan but wanted something sporty and this still firs that niche as far as im concerned. If they come out with the new engine in the STi in 2 years then ill get one. If not then ill give this car to my wife (my wife loves this car) and get another WRX.

If you don't plan on beating the crap out of your car then its great if driven in "manual." if your in auto and plan on flooring it then i suggest switching to "manual" before doing so. When driving around in traffic i keep it in "I" and auto. Once i hit the highway i put it in S and manual

My car history:
    As far as sports cars go, I have owned a few Mustangs, a trans-am, and a Corvette just to name a few. I have also owned a highly modified Focus, and SRT-4, and a few Hondas. Within the last two years I have had a Jeep, a Power Wagon, a Tacoma, two Prius's (the C and now a V) a Ram 2500 with a Cummins, and an 89 4Runner.

Since i was seventeen i have purchased or leased two cars a year. It became easier when people were deploying and having to sell their cars due to not finding a place to store them. However, most of the cars I flipped so i didn't keep them very long. Now im down to 4 and trying to keep it that way due to Insurance purposes. At times i get a hair up my ass and buy a car just to flip it a month later but we are having a kid so my expenses have been cut by my wife lol.

What would you recommend to someone who doesn't know manual?

What kind of 0-60 times do you see?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxGuy2015 View Post
    What would you recommend to someone who doesn't know manual?

What kind of 0-60 times do you see?
    I think the least of your worries is a 0-60 time. I would recommend the manual option to anyone, even people who do not currently drive manual. The new clutch, shifter, and tranny combo are much more forgiving than the old 5 speed and will be much more fun.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I have only test drove 2 2015 CVT's and my impressions of them was "well at least its a AWD and can corner well" I really did not like it that much at all. Its intresting to actually hear from someone that has one and has put 3000 miles on it. I respect his opinion way more then some of the other CVT defenders you see on North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club... there is a thread that just wont die regarding this issue on there...

Well personally after driving a 6MT I would never get a CVT unless I had no other Options... the 6MT is SOOOOOO nice!!!!!

By you saying 0-60 not being a concern is that to assume its plenty fast?

I Support ClubWRX
    No, I'm saying 0-60 shouldn't be a concern when factoring how fun the car is. 0-60 is literally the worst metric there is when comparing performance in cars. CVT will be fun in the twisties no matter what. However, I'd still go manual because not only does it make you a better driver, you can control the fun better. Straight line speed is fine, but it's only good from stop light to stop light. If you can find a fun car for backroads (of which there are PLENTY), then you're golden. The new WRX will be one of those cars, regardless of transmission.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I have always been a 0-60/1/4 Mile guy until I took a 6MT 2015 WRX up a curvy mountain road and realized now why people buy the WRX/STI ! Its fun being able to go around corners quickly and safely, That being said I still do enjoy straight line speed as I would bet most people would too but now I know there is so much more to a car then just straight line speed, Handling is FTW

and just to answer your question about the CVT 0-60 your going to be under 6 seconds which is respectable but most "Nice" cars made today are able to achieve this with no problem, Honda Accord, Camry etc... Getting under 5 seconds puts you more ahead of the rest in terms of 0-60... I like the 1/4 mile time more because I feel like its more realistic view of the power in the car

I think a lot depends on your driving situation. I came from a 2013 wrx and now have a 2015 wrx cvt and after 2800 miles I do not miss my manual car at all. I drive in Chicago traffic every day so for me it's much more convenient than my old wrx. I agree that if you plan in taking your car to the track often then manual is the way to go! So if your thinking about cvt or manual I think it boils down to how are you going to use the car. Either way it will be a fun car to drive

I want to drive manual but at the same time I don't want to break a new car. I have a short commute but do get stuck in stop and go traffic.

We actually hear a lot of people admitting their wrx is their first manual and they learned on it as well.
    I'm one of them. Only downside: no one can drive me and my car when I'm too drunk.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    We actually hear a lot of people admitting their wrx is their first manual and they learned on it as well.
    I'm one of them. Only downside: no one can drive me and my car when I'm too drunk.
    My wife can't drive a manual either and it kills me all the time, I don't drink but I'd like to take the boat out and have her still be able to go somewhere if needed so it sucks. She wants me to teach her but my clutch is already pushed to the limit with my power levels so there's no way I'm doing that right now. What I need to do is find someone that has an old Civic beater that she can learn on, one day....one day...

Damn, this thread picked up fast so I'm not sure where to start.

0-60 times: unknown since I don't waste time going down the 1/4 if I'm only going to run a 12 or 15. I'm a bit ass backwards because I like drag racing sport bikes and road racing cars. However, acceleration is important coming out of the corners so I may go to the strip a couple times just to see what it does. I actually want to take it to the Texas Mile once I get it set up with a DP and tune.

Traffic: yea driving a stick in traffic is a bitch. It was a slight factor in why I got the CVT since I drove both down some streets behind the dealer and then on the highway while in a bit of stop and go. Its nice that my wife loves this car so its given me an excuse to buy the STi when and if it gets the new engine.

I was hitting it pretty hard today and got it up to 100 a few times. I can be cruising at 65 and just click down 2 ratios (no gears remember) and it'll get up to 100 pretty damn fast. I'm waiting for Mishimoto to develop their trans cooler for it and then I think it'll be able to handle more abuse.

If I missed anything, I'm sorry. This thread kicked off pretty fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast