6 speed swap
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on 6 speed swap within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright the time has come my fellow wry friends, time to get the 6 speed swap done!! just want to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SLC, UT/ LA, CA
    Posts
    26

    6 speed swap

    alright the time has come my fellow wry friends, time to get the 6 speed swap done!!

    just want to know everything ill need to do the complete swap besides the obvious things

    -trans
    -axles
    -sti brembo
    -rotors/hub assembly
    -rear diff
    -????

    any help is appreciated
    2007 Impreza WRX
    1991 UCF 10 VIP

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4
    DCCD controller. Aftermarket or OEM.

  4. #3
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,473
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Technically, you don't NEED the DCCD controller, though without the controller the DCCD will revert to "open" and the trans will only use the Torsen center. Also, be careful with which 6MT you purchase. Most JDM STi 6MTs do not offer the DCCD as this was an option for STis in Japan and/or Type RAs over the years.

    Depending on the year of the car and year of the trans, you will also need a new driveshaft.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #4
    Registered User SKI.WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    333
    Master swap list for 04-07 Sti 6 speed into WRX - NASIOC

    That is the thread for you. Basically it depends on what transmission you get what your parts list will be exactly.

    Some excerpts:

    "04 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft from an automatic or from Sti with a yolk for a wrx
    -3.90 R&P gear to replace the 3.54 in the WRX
    OR
    -R180 rear differential and Sti hubs, rotors, brakes and axles*
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -front axles and hubs can be reused provided the transmission still has the axle stubs in it.
    -DCCD controller optional but recommended**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5speed or 6 speed flywheel and clutch"

    "05 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -3.90 R&P gear to replace the 3.54 in the WRX
    OR
    -R180 rear differential and Sti hubs, rotors, brakes and axles*
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -hubs or Stubs? Not clear on this one for the front but it seems there is extra that needs to be done with an 05***
    -DCCD controller optional but recommended**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5 speed or 6 speed clutch and flywheel"

    "06 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -Stock R160 can be used without changing the gear ratio due to change in 06 that makes the ceneter diff a 1.1:1 vs the old 1.0:1
    -stock rear axles can be used on rear due to no need to change the rear diff
    -front...04 Sti Axle stubs can be ordered along with seals and clips that retains the WRX front Axles, hubs, etc? Special seals are needed. Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110
    Circlip Part Number: 805329010 from Wrinkleboi's thread about this***
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -DCCD controller optional**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5 speed and 6 speed clutch and flywheel"

    "07 USDM Sti 6 speed: into wrx
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder for 2007 sti
    R160 rear diff (02-05 wrx)
    6 speed clutch and flywheel
    Circlips from 2004 sti, oil seals and axle stubs"

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SLC, UT/ LA, CA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Master swap list for 04-07 Sti 6 speed into WRX - NASIOC

    That is the thread for you. Basically it depends on what transmission you get what your parts list will be exactly.

    Some excerpts:

    "04 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft from an automatic or from Sti with a yolk for a wrx
    -3.90 R&P gear to replace the 3.54 in the WRX
    OR
    -R180 rear differential and Sti hubs, rotors, brakes and axles*
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -front axles and hubs can be reused provided the transmission still has the axle stubs in it.
    -DCCD controller optional but recommended**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5speed or 6 speed flywheel and clutch"

    "05 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -3.90 R&P gear to replace the 3.54 in the WRX
    OR
    -R180 rear differential and Sti hubs, rotors, brakes and axles*
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -hubs or Stubs? Not clear on this one for the front but it seems there is extra that needs to be done with an 05***
    -DCCD controller optional but recommended**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5 speed or 6 speed clutch and flywheel"

    "06 USDM Sti 6 speed:
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -Stock R160 can be used without changing the gear ratio due to change in 06 that makes the ceneter diff a 1.1:1 vs the old 1.0:1
    -stock rear axles can be used on rear due to no need to change the rear diff
    -front...04 Sti Axle stubs can be ordered along with seals and clips that retains the WRX front Axles, hubs, etc? Special seals are needed. Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110
    Circlip Part Number: 805329010 from Wrinkleboi's thread about this***
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -DCCD controller optional**
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder?
    -5 speed and 6 speed clutch and flywheel"

    "07 USDM Sti 6 speed: into wrx
    -transmission
    -driveshaft
    -6 speed shifter and assembly****
    -6-speed clutch fork and slave cylinder for 2007 sti
    R160 rear diff (02-05 wrx)
    6 speed clutch and flywheel
    Circlips from 2004 sti, oil seals and axle stubs"




    Thanks, I've gathered some parts so far and does the year matter? or is it like most parts where 04-07 all basically work
    and will the R180 work the 07? as that is the rear diff option i am going for
    2007 Impreza WRX
    1991 UCF 10 VIP

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4
    Does Any one have a list like these of what a 2014 WRX would need to swap from stock 5 speed MT to a STI 6 speed MT?

  8. #7
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jboadway View Post
    Does Any one have a list like these of what a 2014 WRX would need to swap from stock 5 speed MT to a STI 6 speed MT?
    Sure:
    -One 2014 STi
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4
    If there would have been any in Southern California I would have, I impulsed a hatchback because I love the lines of the car so got one of the last 2014s that was delivered in my area. I kinda just jumped into the wrx so I'm very very new to what you can and can't swap between the wrx and the sti.

  10. #9
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,231
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jboadway View Post
    If there would have been any in Southern California I would have, I impulsed a hatchback because I love the lines of the car so got one of the last 2014s that was delivered in my area. I kinda just jumped into the wrx so I'm very very new to what you can and can't swap between the wrx and the sti.
    Time to do some reading and searching on forums =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  11. #10
    Registered User SKI.WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydriftnutz View Post
    Thanks, I've gathered some parts so far and does the year matter? or is it like most parts where 04-07 all basically work
    and will the R180 work the 07? as that is the rear diff option i am going for
    Read that thread. It answers your questions.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •