2015 wrx throw out bearing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 wrx throw out bearing within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have had my wrx since May 23rd. I only have 540 miles on it. For last couple weeks every time ...

2015 wrx throw out bearing

Have had my wrx since May 23rd. I only have 540 miles on it. For last couple weeks every time I would start my car and push the clutch in it would make a noise. I figured it was the throw out bearing. Nothing bad didn't sound like it was going to blow up or anything. Just sounded like a dry bearing. The noise would go away by in a couple miles and not come back until the following morning. I dropped it off at the dealership and they heard the same thing. They figure it's a throw out bearing too. So they are going to replace it and I should get my car back Monday. At least I got a free loaner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is a Subaru thing... I got my WRX last Saturday and with less than 250 miles on the odometer the TOB has already started making the whirring noise in the morning.

My Legacy GT did the same thing. I actually had them replaced the TOB under warranty after about 45,000 miles and within two weeks of that replacement the new one started doing it again. Kept on doing it until I sold it with about 95,000 miles on it. Never had any other problems with it.

It seems they will never fix this problem.

Same problem here..
    I've got about 5500 miles on my '15 wrx.

At roughly 4500 miles, the TOB starting whistling in the morning, but would go away after about 5 minutes of driving.
    Had the dealership replace the TOB at around 4800 under the warranty.
    Just noticed the whistling again this morning.. -__- < this was the look on my face - super annoyed.
    So, not even 1000 miles later, this sh*t is acting up again.

How many times are they going to cover this under warranty before they start charging me for it, ya know?!

Is it safe to drive around with the TOB like this - obviously it will just continue to get worse - but does it cause any damage to the other components of the clutch/transmission?

Same here I hear the noise every morning and haven't done anything about it. Now my clutch makes a screeching sound and popping noise. I wanna get it fixed but my Subaru dealer sucks. Currently at 4600 miles.

Yep... it's annoying. But it gets even better! As the hot weather of summer gives way to the cold of winter, the sound will get louder and it will take longer to go away after start-up. So we all have that to look forward to. I really had hoped Subaru had fixed these issues with the 2015.

But with that said, nothing bad ever happeed to the TOB in my Legacy. It just made noise... never anything worse than that.

I figured I'd jump in on this convo since I'm living it right now...

At 447 miles I documented (with video proof) the ever so awesome TOB noise in my '15 WRX. At first the dealer couldn't duplicate the noise because they kept putting the clutch to the floor (needs half travel to make the noise). After letting the car sit they were able to duplicate the noise...fast forward a week and I got my car back complete with new clutch assembly. The only thing they didn't replace was the Flywheel.

At about 1,500 miles the noise was coming back but not really loud enough to capture on my phone so I called SOA and let them know it was going to be an issue again but I would hold off on bringing it to the dealer until I could get solid proof and it was loud enough to match the prior bearing. I even called the dealer to let them know it would be back in the future. Fast forward to 3,000 miles and I was able to capture the noise on video for a week straight. Took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't hear it. Argued with them, e-mailed them a ton of videos of it happening and they eventually agreed to talk with SOA again. This time they only replaced the TOB, nothing more.

So here I am today, 3,114 miles (and two days after the dealer replaced the bearing) and guess what I hear when I start the car...so now the dealer is giving me attitude thinking I'm a complete nut job (even questioning whether I "liked" the car or if it was something else) and SOA and I have already had a few animated conversations so now I'm pegged as the crazy one. Of course I told them that the defnition of insanity was expecting a different result from the same action and that they needed to acknowledge their TOB was junk.

So there you have it...2015 WRX with 3114 miles as I type this and I've had two replaced bearings and about to fight for my third. At this point they only really need to put in one more bad bearing before the "lemon law" becomes a very viable solution to this issue.

Wow I really need to get mine replaced then, the clutch cracking/squeak is getting louder. If I still drive without getting it replaced will it mess up anything?

I don't think I'm going back to my dealer though. I feel like they're really blowing me off and not taking this seriously because I've had other issues with the car. I've already thrown a CEL which they couldn't diagnose and just wiped. Subaru had to replace my Sport Exhaust because of the "recall" (twice since their replacement had a dented exhaust tip that I felt I shouldn't have to live with). The dealer also broke my engine cover trying to check fluids. They als dented my hood by pushing down on it when they shut it (fortunately paintless dent repair worked). I love the car...I just want a TOB to last longer than a thousand miles and to not have to listen for it anymore.
    Last edited by Mrnrfan182; 08-02-2014 at 03:36 PM.

7800 miles...and I hear the chirping now. Wondering if a TSB is coming down the pipeline. Will take mine to the stealership next week

Doubtful... the very fact that this continues to be a problem after so many years means that Subaru doesn't care or is in denial about it.

My 2011 with 51k miles has a noisy TOB, thinking of replacing the whole clutch and bearing with a higher quality one. Anyone have any experience with an aftermarket TOB or will it do the same as the OEM?

Hey, hey, mine whistles too every morning until everything is warmed up. Either it goes away or just fades into everything else. It's been happening since the car had 11 miles on it, so I figured it was a Subaru feature, not a glitch???
    Not so much anymore.

So far I can say it dates back to 2009. Mike does it as well, not too worried about it though. Seems to just be a subie glitch. Never had any problems with the clutch

Always get it checked out. Clutch issues were the final straw with my car. I didn't have any driveability issues, just noises, yet after they opened her up I believe the tech described the clutch as "shredded."
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

God damnit mine does this too. Thought it was normal. 3400 miles on the car. Already had to have the gas cap spring and linkage replaced because my cap wouldnt open. Wtf this is bull. Brand new 30k$ car shouldnt have these "glitches".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast