Need new clutch advice!!

This is a discussion on Need new clutch advice!! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I need a new clutch. Putting down 300wtq. I am thinking about the exedy stage 1 which holds 301wtq...I ...

Need new clutch advice!!

So I need a new clutch. Putting down 300wtq. I am thinking about the exedy stage 1 which holds 301wtq...I feel like it might be pushing my luck but I really don't want to go up to stage 2...any advice ??
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why dont you want to go up to stage 2?
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Because I daily drive. Not sure if I want to deal with the stage 2
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Whatever is happening to my clutch is very odd. When car is off it goes through the gears no problem. This all started yesterday it was difficult to get it into all gears and was grinding but once it was in everything was fine but now like I said I can't even get it into first. Then I went out to move it later since I figured I wouldn't be driving it for awhile and I attempted one more time and it went right into gear no problem.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

im not sure whats wrong with your clutch, i dont really have any transmission work experience. but youll be fine with a stage 2. stage 2 isnt that extreme. as long as you stick with a disc instead of a puck style it wont be that different from stock. just take a couple times behind the wheel to get used to.
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah no real noticeable different from stock to my stage 2, pucks are supposed to be a pia but discs are just a little harder to depress.

Are you sure you didn't have something sheared or whatever in the trans that was stuck and is now cleared?

I think exedy stage 2 is puck and I honestly have no clue if something was blocking it.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Awd doesn't typically go too wheel with puck style clutches in my previous research. That's why I'm going to go with completion stage 2 which should also be enougj for your numbers. What year is your car?
    Have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal, shifter bushings front and rear, short throw, or trans fluid?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Awd doesn't typically go too wheel with puck style clutches in my previous research. That's why I'm going to go with completion stage 2 which should also be enougj for your numbers.
    Sorry Lytlec, I am going to jack this one.
    I also need a new clutch this week, its slipping in 5th right as the torque curve peaks. What is wrong with the puck style? Do you have experience with this? I have 308.6 FT/Lbs and need a stage 2. I assumed Exedy stage 2 Cerametallic clutch would be a great choice, brand name backed with years of subaru experience.

Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Disc Clutch Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2006-2014 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) 15952 at RallySportDirect.com

If there is any reason i shouldn't get this i would love for someone who has direct experience with these clutches installed on their subaru to give me some advice. Thanks,

Why are you flooring it in 5th gear? That's your cruising gear!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Its an easy way to test for slippage.

Quote Originally Posted by G0ATLIF3 View Post
    Sorry Lytlec, I am going to jack this one.
    I also need a new clutch this week, its slipping in 5th right as the torque curve peaks. What is wrong with the puck style? Do you have experience with this? I have 308.6 FT/Lbs and need a stage 2. I assumed Exedy stage 2 Cerametallic clutch would be a great choice, brand name backed with years of subaru experience.

Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Disc Clutch Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2006-2014 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) 15952 at RallySportDirect.com

If there is any reason i shouldn't get this i would love for someone who has direct experience with these clutches installed on their subaru to give me some advice. Thanks,
    BTW Goatlif3 I just read about that stage 2 exedy you linked and they are adamant you don't want to use this if you're doing very much daily driving. Not because of the change in feel but because of reliability. The puck style just isn't intended for lots of takeoffs