grinding into 4th ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on grinding into 4th ? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so I bought a 09 WRX limited with a 5 spd used with 50,000n kms on it & it shifted ...

grinding into 4th ?

so I bought a 09 WRX limited with a 5 spd used with 50,000n kms on it & it shifted fine , thought I would change all fluids & dropped the fluid(not sure what the dealer put in it) & put full synthetic amsoil gear lube 75W-90 & in the trans & now im noticing that from 3rd - 4th theres a grind into gear . ? is there a special ani friction diff additive that your supposed ?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The 5 speeds typically don't like anything other then subaru synthetic extra s. I thought about running redline but heard a lot of mixed reviews good and terrible...Most of the good ones were sti specific anyway.
    Once I put extra s in my front diff became quiet again and shifting is smooth again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

so i talked to 2 different dealers & with out telling them what i was driving , just explaining the situation , both asked if it was a WRX , one siad that they use "semi-synthetic" & the other siad just regular 75-90 GL-5 . any one heard of this before ?

Just use extra s from subaru or Fred beans where I bought mine. Redline has reviews of being good for a short while before it breaks down and people report of it being milky, so just any regular 75-90 is no good. I've used my dealerships 75 90 and my diff started whining.
    You could also try running synchro mesh (forgot the brand) but it's supposed to help for smoother shifts. Haven't tried it though. Again my car is running much better with Subaru synthetic extra s 75 90

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't use a "synchromesh" type product! Maybe OK shifting but not enough protection for the front differential gears.

I say use a synthetic 75W-110 GL-5 and get back with us.

I Support ClubWRX
    Extra-S is expensive. Regular Valvoline GL5 75W-90 will work. Numerous threads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    Don't use a "synchromesh" type product! Maybe OK shifting but not enough protection for the front differential gears.

I say use a synthetic 75W-110 GL-5 and get back with us.
    Ya , im a little nervous experimenting with another expensive full synthetic....i have already put Amsoil full synthetic 75w-90 in & full synthetic Pennzoil 75w-90

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. I'm an Amsoil guy and I even say no to the 75W -90.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm an Amsoil guy and I even say no to the 75W -90.

ok , so why the 75w-110 then instead of the recommended 75w-90 ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyboy View Post
    ok , so why the 75w-110 then instead of the recommended 75w-90 ?
    All about starting viscosity and viscosity retention range. The range of 18-20 cSt hot seems like a sweet spot as long as the fluid has the correct frictional and dynamic viscometrics. If you look at Amsoil's recommendation they give a choice.

I Support ClubWRX
    All about starting viscosity and viscosity retention range. The range of 18-20 cSt hot seems like a sweet spot as long as the fluid has the correct frictional and dynamic viscometrics. If you look at Amsoil's recommendation they give a choice.

Starting viscosity would be identical for the 75W-90 vs. the 75W-110. I suppose if your car has a splash system it'll be fine but I'd hesitate to use the 110 with a pumped gearbox without contacting the gearbox maker first.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hey guys , thanks for all your suggestions & advice ! its much appreciated
    so im starting to think its more than just the fluid , i havent changed it yet but was out this afternoon & noticed the the grinding is happening from 3RD into 4TH above 2500-3000 RPM . If i hold the clutch in & let the RPMs drop below 2500 RPM it shifts no prob . is not extreme grinding but none the less , its grinding & i want to fix it

I Support ClubWRX
    Provided you have no mechanical problems with the clutch, linkage, or gearbox itself, changing the fluid is still the first thing to do.

If you have mechanical problems, the fluid is not likely to be the greatest of your worries anyway. I'd give the fluid a try and see what you think first.

well as far as i know , everything is solid , it drives & changes gears excellent aside from the grind from 3RD to 4Th....i live in the country & went into the closest small town today & they only had 80w-90...is there much difference from 75w-90 ? ill head into the big city tomorrow & see what i can find.

What city are you close too? Im in the Calgary area, and could point you to a few shops.

Although i dont think there is a surrey in AB...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.