grinding into 4th ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on grinding into 4th ? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; HA ! no , i dont think so.....thats where i grew up though....im west of Edmonton , a Hr...

HA ! no , i dont think so.....thats where i grew up though....im west of Edmonton , a Hr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmm, If your heading to EDM i know there is a JB's Power Centre there. They have most types of oil and are usually the cheaper of sorts. Also Mopac will have it. You can also look into tuning shops. Try these Forums:
    beyond.ca | #1 Automotive News Source
    Western Subaru Club
    NASCC

Good luck with the Trans

right on !! was going to check them out...thanks for the info !!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by surreyboy View Post
    i live in the country & went into the closest small town today & they only had 80w-90...is there much difference from 75w-90 ? ill head into the big city tomorrow & see what i can find.
    There is a difference. My car seldom sees below 0 temps whereas I suspect yours does routinely. I'd get the viscosity listed in the book for your ambient temps, and I suspect that's not 80W. Check.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so just an update in case any one else has this issue , i took the car to the dealer to get them to test drive it since i was in the city & they wanted to dump the fluid , they asked if it was synthetic in there i told them that i had put synthetic in but dumped it about a week ago & filled with regular 75W-90 , they dumped it & replaced it with regular 75W-90 *NON* synthetic petro-can oil from 45 gallon drum & told me to try it for about 300 KMS to let the new oil work its way into the synchros & push the other stuff out . put 100 KMS on & its starting to feel better !!

Did they say that you shouldn't use synthetic? Or was there a brand that was causing the failure?

Ya , said not to use synthetic . They said the have seen this lots with the WRX(non STI) 5 spd

Thats good to know as i just bought Redlines 75-90 and was gonna do the swap this weekend. Guess ill be returning it and biting the bullet on some Super S.

Did they say anything about the rear diff?

I didn't even ask about the rear diff but from this experience , I think I'll just stick with the specs in the book . Isn't the super S synthetic ?

Yes, but according to SOA it is the stock fluid for the vehicle(from factory). <---NOT TRUE

and the rear diff has 85W 90 in it from factory "Nisseki-Mitsubishi 85w-90 gear oil." I was told that the rear diff can use multiple different fluids and viscosities but Subaru recommends following your OM.(go figure)

Update: Ok so scratch that as i just recieved an email from the SOA fella's manager saying that they come from factory with non-synthetic based 75-90... LOL even they have had things mixed up on this matter. he said he uses Valvoline on his wifes WRX. The rear diff still stands to be correct, though he said you are wasting money by buying the synthetic stuff because the performance and degradation differences are so miniscule it doesnt seem worth it.
    Last edited by G0ATLIF3; 06-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.

well let us know how ya make out . is yours a STI ?

Nope WRX, + update^^^

Did it grind down shifting from 5th to 4th? I'm currently having a problem when up shifting to 4th

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ATLIF3 View Post
    Ok so scratch that as i just recieved an email from the SOA fella's manager saying that they come from factory with non-synthetic based 75-90... LOL even they have had things mixed up on this matter. he said he uses Valvoline on his wifes WRX. The rear diff still stands to be correct, though he said you are wasting money by buying the synthetic stuff because the performance and degradation differences are so miniscule it doesnt seem worth it.
    I can't disagree. I've used Valvoline regular 75W-90 in my car. The car only has 160,000 miles on it but for what it's worth, it shifts no worse than the day I bought it new.

Come to think of it though your rear diff is different to mine, and that could explain the apparent difference in recommended viscosity. From memory, your diff could present fewer wear issues anyway if I understand the setup correctly. In any case, I'd follow book viscosities and not hesitate to use regular Valvoline if you can find the correct viscosity locally in a GL5.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12