transmission won't detach from engine
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on transmission won't detach from engine within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am trying to replace my clutch and have removed everything but i can't get transmission to detach from engine. ...

transmission won't detach from engine

I am trying to replace my clutch and have removed everything but i can't get transmission to detach from engine. i am doing it in drive way have car jacked up. i have attempted several times to wiggle it apart. anybody have tips to help get it to separate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it would help if we knew what year and model you were asking about.

more than likely you forgot to remove the clutch fork pivot rod. there is a large hex key (if I remember correctly 10mm) plug right where the starter is. remove that and thread a 10MM bolt into the rod and use pliers or a small pry bar to remove the rod. after the rod is removed the transmission will come loose

. if its not that, then the dowel rods from the engine block to transmission housing are probably stuck. which in this case just keep prying until they come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by W_R_XTC View Post
    it would help if we knew what year and model you were asking about.

more than likely you forgot to remove the clutch fork pivot rod. there is a large hex key (if I remember correctly 10mm) plug right where the starter is. remove that and thread a 10MM bolt into the rod and use pliers or a small pry bar to remove the rod. after the rod is removed the transmission will come loose

. if its not that, then the dowel rods from the engine block to transmission housing are probably stuck. which in this case just keep prying until they come loose.
    Sorry new to site it is a 2008 wrx i have not removed that i will try.

Working on changing the clutch now. This is not an easy job.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Just did mine last weekend on jackstands. OH BOY that sucked!!! But I'm glad to have my scooby working normal now

I am having trouble mating the transmission to the engine. Do you guys have any helpful tips? I think the angle of the engine is causing my headache.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    More hands helps with lining things up..

Finally got it. Yesterday my neighbor and his friend were helping me. We almost had it on. We were using bolts to try and mate the transmission to the engine. Luckily it got late and we stopped there.

This morning I went in and slid the transmission away to inspect the clutch and flywheel for damage. Luckily I did not damage anything.

So I took my time and used a mirror and flashlight to line up the studs to the two bottom holes in the transmission. I knew it was right when I could see a perfect circle around the bolt. I used a tie strap through a hole on the alternator and across my strut bar to tilt the engine towards the transmission. This fixed the angle. I used the upper radiator hose as a guide to see how far back the engine should tilt.

Last thing I did was slightly rotate the center splines of the transmission. Once I did that I pushed the transmission towards the engine and it went gently into place. I had to push a few more times but there was no resistance.

What a relief. I am glad I did not damage anything when forcing the transmission back. Moral of the story is this don't force anything. Take your time and use your brain / geometry to align everything. The two should come together with relative ease.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.