Grinding Noise from Driveshaft During Deceleration?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Grinding Noise from Driveshaft During Deceleration? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm having issues with a bad grinding sound on deceleration, mainly betweek 2500-4000 rpms. I did some investigating last night ...

Grinding Noise from Driveshaft During Deceleration?

I'm having issues with a bad grinding sound on deceleration, mainly betweek 2500-4000 rpms. I did some investigating last night because I was certain the sound was still from the rear. I ended up hearing this sound where the rear diff connects to the driveshaft.

Here's a video: Grinding WRX Sounds - YouTube

Now here's the kicker. I'm 100% sure its not the rear differential. Why?

1. I was having the same issue before and it was recommended that I replace the rear differential.
    2004 WRX Rear Differential Sound - NASIOC

2. I bought a used one from a vendor who tested it and said it was in perfect working condition. The sound didn't disappear.

3. I put my old differential on another WRX and the sound was nonexistent.

My thoughts are the driveshaft. Would it make this sound if it's damaged (only at 2500-4500 RPM)? If not, what else could it be?

Another thought.....the sound only happens in gear. If it truly is the driveshaft, wouldn't I hear it when I am coasting in neutral?

Maybe the connection between the tranny and driveshaft is bad? Is there a bearing or something on the other end of the driveshaft that could be bad and causing a sound that's resonating through the driveshaft to where it connects to the rear differential?

Funny thing is though, that there's no sound coming from under the transmission or driveshaft towards the front of the car.

Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds a lot like the diff to me man.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    Sounds a lot like the diff to me man.
    Center diff?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.