WRX CVT

This is a discussion on WRX CVT within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read that the CVT is programmed to "mimic" shift points. In my opinion that mimicry slows down the shifting ...

WRX CVT

I read that the CVT is programmed to "mimic" shift points. In my opinion that mimicry slows down the shifting process and makes the shifting seem slower than it could be.

It would be nice to see a company come out with a tune that puts a stop to the fake shifts and allows the CVT to smoothly operate without interruption.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Huh? The CVT doesn't have shift points unless you switch to a performance mode or drive in a certain way.

I think it'll only "mimic" shift points should you choose to use the paddleshifters. Otherwise it acts as a normal CVT?

during daily driving it does indeed function just as a cvt is supposed to. however, when you give it some gas in either mode (sport, sport sharp, or intelligent modes) it will mimic a shift at curtain points as you gain speed. I looked around and found a few articles that said Subaru did this on purpose top make it feel more sporty, which i find ridiculous because if that system was taken away then it would be a much smoother transition into higher speeds.

I've only gotten into it a couple times because i couldn't help myself and think its retarded to have fake shift points in a CVT. it almost felt as if i was driving an AT. If it cant be programmed out of the car then ill probably swap out of this car and into a MT in a couple of years or give this car to my wife and buy an STI.

I ran mine in sport plus mode, but I left it in drive and it stayed at 5,500 rpm all the way to 100 mph. When I drive it in sport plus mode and manual shift it does simulate shifts.