2015 WRX Factory STi Short Throw Shifter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX Factory STi Short Throw Shifter within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anyone provide some insight into the difference between the stock shifter and the short throw shifter option for the ...

Can anyone provide some insight into the difference between the stock shifter and the short throw shifter option for the 2015 WRX?

I've been kind of holding off on purchasing a 2015 model because it's been difficult to locate a base model with this option on nearby dealer lots.

Just wondering if the difference is signicant on the new models.

Is it worth a special order or putting off a purchase until finding one at a dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This review actually mentions going with the stock shifter for a daily driver but doesn't explain the reason.

2015 Subaru WRX STI Preview - CNET

I think its due to the shifters positioning. The short throw can become uncomfortable thanks to the lack of an arm rest (option, yet none of them had it) from what i read on a few of the reviews. I personally wish my car had the arm rest even though i decided to go with the CVT but its not as big of a deal.

I went ahead and posed the question in the CNET comments section and the car reviewer was nice enough to respond:

The standard shifter is already technically a short-throw shifter when compared to the standard WRX's -- at least, that's what Subie's engineers told me before tossing me the keys. The optional shifter is then a "ridiculously short throw shifter," in my opinion. Around town, I found it too easy to accidentally slide into 5th gear when looking for third with the optional shifter and generally liked the feel of the standard rower both on the road and on the track (since you end up having to wait for the revs to drop after an upshift anyway, the slightly faster throw doesn't really translate into better performance).

Of course YMMV, so you'll want to try before you buy since "feel" is a very subjective part of the driving experience.

Can anyone respond to whether the stock shifter on the STi is shorter than the stock shifter on the WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd like a ridiculously short throw shifter please. Lol

Most reviews I've seen with the sts have actually been favorable.... But like the author said "feel" is very subjective.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    I dont know how short of a throw you want but if you see a car that you want get it while you can and then maybe wait for aftermarket ones to be produced. Im sure the stock shifter isnt horrible but unless you are lucky enough to find a dealer that has cars with the options to compare you may have to wait a while for your answerer. Cobb has made adjustable shifters for the past few generations that may be your best bet. I have tried my friends 06 STI with the TWM shifter and it was way shorter then my 12 wrx. i know there are way different models and they dont really compare well but the throws were way different you can take that how ever you want it.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

The stock shifter is pretty good, why not just go with it and upgrade later if you decide otherwise?

Did you go with the stock shifter?

Were you talking about upgrading to the factory short shifter later or an aftermarket solution?

I'm guessing an aftermarket version might be better than the factory STi short shifter, but wasn't sure.

I Support ClubWRX

Meh I'm sure they are nice or better or more cost effective sts solutions available. But on an STi, it's a few hundred bucks on an $40k vehicle. I would just rather get the factory option (which again has been received favorably in most all the reviews I've seen) and be done with it.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I don't mind paying for the option and would if any dealers around me had it on their lots.

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth holding out or special ordering a WRX just for that option.

If there is an aftermarket solution that is just as good, then that would alleviate having to special order one (if the factory stock shifter even needs upgrading to begin with).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rain27 View Post
    I don't mind paying for the option and would if any dealers around me had it on their lots.

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth holding out or special ordering a WRX just for that option.

If there is an aftermarket solution that is just as good, then that would alleviate having to special order one (if the factory stock shifter even needs upgrading to begin with).
    I personally would probably not opt to hold out for one given the choice between ordering one and having to wait months and driving home with a new WRX. The sts is cool but not critical to the overall experience and you will be able to upgrade to that option later.
    -The J

is the sti short throw shifter just a shorter rod or the linkages are also different?

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a very basic FYI on how short throws work.

2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

isn't the STS a dealer installed option?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.