2015 WRX Factory STi Short Throw Shifter - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX Factory STi Short Throw Shifter within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by cflip2x Just a very basic FYI on how short throws work. Thanks for explaining that. If we ...

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Just a very basic FYI on how short throws work.

Thanks for explaining that.
    If we go for an after market short throw, does it move the fulcrum up or it just shortens the rod above the fulcrum?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on the manufacturer but usually both height and throe get shortened.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb has made adjustable shifter the last few models so odds are they will do the same for the 2015+ I like the height of the faculty option for my 12. Since I got the arm rest extension my hand rests comfortably on the shifter and arm rest. I would like the height to be shorter only for looks. I don't know how I would like it for driving as much as I do. I'm sure if that's what the car came with I would get used to it. I prefer comfort and function vs bragging i have the shortest shifter. Just something to keep in mind. Also I haven't sat in a 15 but the shifter position is low compared to say a Supra where you also want a shortened height because the center console is higher

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

My wife ended up getting a base model without the short shifter. My wife test drove one with and without the short shifter and mentioned the one without the short shifter being a little smoother to operate while being a little longer than the short shifter version.

I compared the shifters, albeit without driving them. It would seem I could live with either just fine.

Was able to test out a new Miata shifter as well...that one was really nice.

First off, Sorry to thread jack, but since this is already about the short throw, I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone have the technical install guide for the short throw shifter on a 15'?

I bought a 2015 WRX Limited and it didn't have a short throw, so I ordered one when I paid for the car. The dealer installed it and 10 days later I have massive amounts of slop left/right and can only get into 3rd and 5th (No reverse or 1st). Note: Slop might not be the right word because it feels like it's disconnected laterally.

I'm wondering if someone has the install manual so I can see what part they probably didn't re-install right.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem87184 View Post
    First off, Sorry to thread jack, but since this is already about the short throw, I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone have the technical install guide for the short throw shifter on a 15'?

I bought a 2015 WRX Limited and it didn't have a short throw, so I ordered one when I paid for the car. The dealer installed it and 10 days later I have massive amounts of slop left/right and can only get into 3rd and 5th (No reverse or 1st). Note: Slop might not be the right word because it feels like it's disconnected laterally.

I'm wondering if someone has the install manual so I can see what part they probably didn't re-install right.
    Don't be afraid to start your own thread, you tend to get better info that way. Someone with the installation guide (if it even comes with one) might pass by this thread, but would check into one titled "looking for '15 STS installation guide".
    I'd have the dealer who installed it deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Don't be afraid to start your own thread, you tend to get better info that way. Someone with the installation guide (if it even comes with one) might pass by this thread, but would check into one titled "looking for '15 STS installation guide".
    I'd have the dealer who installed it deal with it.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll start up a thread of my own if I dont find the information in the thread you mentioned.

As of right now the dealership is dealing with it, but I'm the type of person who trys to find out how things operate so I have a better understanding when approaching the situation at hand.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just put 4K on my 15WRXLTD with the stock shifter. It was okay. I tried a demo with a STS, I definitely like the throws from 3 to 4 to 5 much better. I drove a VW bus years ago where there was over 6" of slop in the shifts, and got used to it, so this is not a deal breaker. I am glad I went with the stock first, but Monday the STS goes in. Am sure I will adapt to it just fine. I had Saabs previously, and the linkage felt like they used rubber bands. Will report on it after a while

I Support ClubWRX
    My 15 LTD WRB had the stock shifter. After 4K miles, I decided I would splurge for the STS. There is a noticeable difference, also not as notchy. Big difference is from 2nd to 3rd, then 4 to 5. I would've saved some money if I had it installed at port. Dealer did a good job, road tested it, so I am pleased. I don't know if a newbie to shifting would notice it however.

FWIW I did the Kartboy sts kit on my 11 WRX. I also did the shifter bushings. All parts plus local shop install came to around $350 I believe.

It was awesome. So don't holdup your car for the STI/oem unit. When I ordered my car that was unavailable which is why I got the car and then went aftermarket.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I Support ClubWRX
    I just changed standard shifter to the std on my 2015 ltd. Cost was 95 for labor and 300 for parts from dealer. The factory std is not notchy like the standard one, and I feel the 2 to3 and 4 to 5 is much crisper. But its totally subjective. Maybe my being $400 poorer make the shifter feel better? Driving manual trans for years might make me more critical.. don't know. I definitely wouldn't hold out to find a std on the lot. can always add.

Quote Originally Posted by guzziman View Post
    I definitely wouldn't hold out to find a std on the lot. can always add.
    I try to avoid std's at all costs..but hey..to each his own, as they say

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12