intermittent squeal... help!

This is a discussion on intermittent squeal... help! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, A couple of days ago my 2012 WRX made a squealing noise under light acceleration from a dead ...

intermittent squeal... help!

Hey Guys,

A couple of days ago my 2012 WRX made a squealing noise under light acceleration from a dead stop. It did it twice the first night, both times from a dead stop, clutch was about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way out. I was hoping it was a fluke and it didn't do it again for a few more days, but today it did it again. Same scenario. The best was I can describe the noise is that it sounds like a squealing fan belt, but for less than a second.

I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow, and I'd really like to be able to point them in a direction to look.

Normally I wouldn't be super concerned. I have 43K on the clock, so I'm still covered under the powertrain warranty... but I'm going Stage 2 on Friday and I'd really like whatever this is taken care of, or at least documented as an issue before my mods. I figure then at least if something goes wrong, I can say that it was pre-existing.

So, I'm open to all your ideas, especially to be able to let the dealership know what to look for.

Thanks in advance. You guys are always so helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Under the described conditions it could be a throw out bearing. Or just your belts.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    How long did it take to go away or did it not go away? Was it recently? Are you able to replicate the noise?
    I had a loud squeaking/scratching noise but it happens to be loose gravel stuck somewhere in the wheels it eventually goes away and so far only a few times but always around similar circumstances.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

The sound lasted for less than a second. It was loud enough to hear over music. I can't replicate it, it only has happened randomly. All threw times on paved roads.

If it's a throwout bearing, I wonder if it's covered by my powertrain warranty... Is that a known issue?
    I'd do more research, but I'm at work and only have my phone right now

Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dealership was unable to replicate sound, which is kind of what I expected. No charge for checking and at least now it's in the system that something was happening, in case something fails soon.

Now... Stage 2 on Friday. Getting pretty psyched.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have the same issues, sounds like others do as well and are saying its the TOB, mines been going on for a while so i might go get it checked. Also to note it usually happens for me on a cold start in the morning.
    2013 WRX Sedan WRB | Gentleman's Alliance

If it's the normal noise from the tob just get used to it. As far as I know and heard it's not causing issues. I thought I saw a tsb on it before where the fix is a shim of some sort. It's mostly a cold start problem and more so when it's colder

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mine happens at all times. The last time it happened was after driving three hours and pulling into a hotel. It was in the upper 90's, so not a cold start issue. It's very intermittent, so almost impossible to replicate. Guess I'll just have to hope it doesn't get worse since the dealership can't figure out what, if anything it's wrong.

I think it's a different noise. Is it when you depress or release the clutch? Is it while shifting?
    Try getting a video if ever possible

I think out is too. Always when releasing the clutch. I'd say it happens once or twice a month, so doubtful I'll get a video...

Ya the usual TOB noise is almost always with cold weather/mornings and cold starts and just a but of chirping with the clutch fully depressed about. The noise being there upon releasing is another story. Going to be kind of hard to say what it is without hearing it.
    Maybe you can get lucky and a tech will hear it or you do get it on video, or you might just need to wait for it to be more persistent. It does sound like a bearing from the description, however the tech is not going to be able to fix it or tell you what's wrong until he can duplicate it unfortunately

I brought it up during my 45 K service along with the idea it may be my bearing. They were unable to replicate but at least I have paperwork showing that it was an issue at 45k, still under warranty and before I went stage 2.