Cobb vs. kartboy
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cobb vs. kartboy within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looking to buy and install a short shifter with front/rear bushings for my 2012 wrx. i understand that the kartboy ...

Cobb vs. kartboy

Looking to buy and install a short shifter with front/rear bushings for my 2012 wrx. i understand that the kartboy shifter is shorter in height and has shorter throws than the cobb, but cobb is adjustable.
    other than that, are there any other differences between the two?
    Is one better suited than the other, i.e. fitment, clearance issues?
    any appreciable differences in the front and rear bushings, as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Both work well though i believe the Kartboy is more of a popular option. Though you cant go wrong with either.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Cobb is also more expensive. Not much difference in quality and function in my opinion. I've been around both.

I Support ClubWRX
    Kartboy

Kartboy short shifter + kartboy bushings = WIN

Kartboy...some people have had issues when adjusting the Cobb to where it won't work as well and lends to grinding shifts. Ultimately lead to replacing it with a KB.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Kartboy...some people have had issues when adjusting the Cobb to where it won't work as well and lends to grinding shifts. Ultimately lead to replacing it with a KB.
    Really?

I had the Cobb and loved it. Never had a single issue. The range of allowable adjustment will let the shift arm contact the steel shifter plate, making it grind at this contact point. Cobb covers this with a template for grinding out the shifter plate, so simply adjust it out of the position that grinds (meaning a slightly longer throw). That's what I did with mine, and drove around for 2 years with no issues at all. Unlike the Kartboy, I could have a very short throw, but keep the shift ball at more or less the stock position. I adjusted the throw to be as short as the plate clearance allowed, then adjusted the ball height perfectly match my arm. Reaching for the shifter was telepathic.

I'll always promote the Cobb shifter, it was fantastic.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I see this a lot on forums so I figured Id respond because I just installed my cobb SS on my 13 wrx hatch. I spoke with the dudes at Pacific Import Auto and they recommended: first take out all the allen bolts and then put some removable threadlock on, about 3/4 of each bolts threads, finalize your adjustment exactly where you want it, ensuring enough clearance, and youre good to go. They only tend to slip because the metal on the cobb ss is very slick. Once you do that its locked in very well. Thats what I did today and I love it. Very short throws and the knob is very very low. You have to make sure also that you leave enough of the top of the shifter out so that you can threat whatever knob youre putting on. I put the stock knob back on and its still low low low. If I have any slipping, which I doubt I will, after a bunch of miles I will post about it.
    fear is the mind killer

the spt shifter linkage is good to have too to shorten the throw even more my wrx came with it an my throws were alot more comfortable than my friends without it.
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

Just replaced my stock shifter and bushings with the Cobb adjustable setup and front/rear bushings this week. IMO made a huge difference, I don't have any experience with the Kartboy stuff though. I bought the package that also included the Cobb Knob as well, honestly even just putting on the knob at first before adding the short throw or bushings was a huge improvement in the feel as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    I went from stock to Kartboy with the bushings and NOTHING would convince me to change it. Not even COBB.

I have an 09 WRX and I had it installed in March 2013. Still feels the way it did when it was installed.

This thread reminded me how much of a row boat the stock setup feels like. Just bad memories
    - Nav Mittal

2009 WRX Sedan running on CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 225/45-17
    COBB AP Stage 2 SF 93+ - Hella Supertones - Kartboy ST Shifter - Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks - COBB Catted DP - Invidia N1 Street Ti Duals - COBB Turbo Heat Shield - COBB SF Air Intake w/ Box - Morimoto TSX-R HID Retrofit w/LED Halo - DEFI Racer Red 52mm Gauges(A-pillar) - Exedy Stage 1 Clutch w/ Exedy Lightweight Flywheel - Killer B Oil Pick-Up w/ Baffle - BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

I've had my Cobb SS (with bushings) for roughly 7 years. No issues here. The Kartboy was too low for my liking so that's why I went with the Cobb.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.