2014 WRX SPT STS Upgrade to Kartboy Question

This is a discussion on 2014 WRX SPT STS Upgrade to Kartboy Question within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, I currently have the SPT STS from the factory. I want to upgrade to the Kartboy SS. I ...

2014 WRX SPT STS Upgrade to Kartboy Question

Hey Guys,

I currently have the SPT STS from the factory. I want to upgrade to the Kartboy SS. I have read that I need the 97-01 shifter as the factory STS is narrower then the OEM.

Does anyone have any insight? also, do you recommend the bushing upgrade?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not sure about the 5MT, but in the 6MT, the factory STS is all in the linkage under the main lever... Put another way, you can (and I do) use both the factory STS and a Kartboy lever. I would suggest calling a good vendor (TurninConcepts) and asking them to make sure you get the correct sized bushings/lever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by TREX954 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I currently have the SPT STS from the factory. I want to upgrade to the Kartboy SS. I have read that I need the 97-01 shifter as the factory STS is narrower then the OEM.

Does anyone have any insight? also, do you recommend the bushing upgrade?

Thanks!
    I have a 2012 WRX with short shifter...and proceeded to do a Kartboy short shifter on top of it. I just ordered from RallySportDirect, what would fit a 2012 WRX and it would be fine (so much better than the SPT short shifter only).

2014 won't be any different.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I have a 2012 WRX with short shifter...and proceeded to do a Kartboy short shifter on top of it. I just ordered from RallySportDirect, what would fit a 2012 WRX and it would be fine (so much better than the SPT short shifter only).

2014 won't be any different.
    Not to jack the thread, but does the same apply for upgraded bushings? I assume the front bushing doesn't matter, but when you upgrade the shifter to the factory STS, you get a rear bushing, but I would imagine a crappy one? I'm looking to do Cobb bushings, as well as possibly a STS on top of the factory STS as well, the same as the OP was talking about.
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

I'm not sure what bushings are offered, but I'd just stick with aftermarket such as Kartboy, Cobb, Perrin etc anyway over SPT stuff. But as long as its Urethane, it's better than the stock rubber ones.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

yea mine happened to be a factory installed factory STS and bushing, so I didn't know if I should leave the rear bushing and just do front. seems like just do both and get rid of the stock STS one they gave me.
    2014 Subaru WRX Limited Sedan in Crystal Black Silica
    Mods - STi Short Throw Shifter w/ Cobb Bushings, Cobb Tuning Race Red Shift Knob, Totsubo Front License Plate Mount, Corsa CBE
    2009 Acura RDX w/ Tech Package in Grigio Metallic

Retired: 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS 5-speed, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S 6-speed, 2010 Honda Accord Couple EX-L V6 6-speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSullyxX View Post
    yea mine happened to be a factory installed factory STS and bushing, so I didn't know if I should leave the rear bushing and just do front. seems like just do both and get rid of the stock STS one they gave me.
    If your going to take the time to change one change the other search for comparison of the bushings and you should find a pic of the spt rear and other aftermarket rear bushings very noticeable difference

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX