Gears Question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Gears Question within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i recently purchased a 2013 subaru wrx and I really don't know anything about them since I've been ...

Gears Question

Hey guys i recently purchased a 2013 subaru wrx and I really don't know anything about them since I've been with honda my whole time as a car enthusiast. My question is that when I'm driving and let go of the gas I can slip the gear out of place but if I have the gas pressed in I can't slip the gear out. I was wondering if this is a major issue I should worry about or is it something that, that's how the car is for like in case something happens and you happen to not press the clutch to take the gear out while you're breaking fast or something. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm still learning and I haven't been driving standard for a long time so I don't know a lot about Manuel transmission either

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump

I Support ClubWRX
    This is totally normal. And actually, if you pull hard enough you should be able to pull it out of gear at any point, now I'm not recommending doing this all the time by any means, or even at all. Zax, or resident physics guru, would be able to weigh in on this as well. But as the force increases on the gears (accelerating) it should, in theory, be more difficult to pull the transmission out of gear and into neutral without the use of a clutch. Confirming your explanation.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

You can actually shift without using the clutch if you match the rpms properly. Haven't done it in the WRX, but it was pretty easy to do in my jeep

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    You can actually shift without using the clutch if you match the rpms properly. Haven't done it in the WRX, but it was pretty easy to do in my jeep
    You should be able to yes... but I would not recommend it by any means. A Jeep is, well a Jeep. You can do practically anything with them.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Thank you guys! I really don't know much about all this but this helped me a lot. Switching from Honda to Subaru is a major difference lol

Oh I won't even be trying to shift like that. I drive my car like a grandma, don't really beat on it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.