2014 Transmission Issues.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2014 Transmission Issues.... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by JimboWRX The WRX transmission does not have a synchro for reverse. It's straight cut. You’re crossing terms ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    The WRX transmission does not have a synchro for reverse. It's straight cut.
    You’re crossing terms here. The type of gear cut has nothing to do with whether the gear has a synchronizing cone. In fact, the reverse gear DOES have a synchro, but it’s configured in an odd way relative to the forward gears. The straight cut gear compounds the problem in that it is more difficult to directly mesh straight cut gears without synchronization, compared to the helical gears on the forward speeds.

See here for more information: Reverse Synchro - NASIOC
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    You’re crossing terms here. The type of gear cut has nothing to do with whether the gear has a synchronizing cone. In fact, the reverse gear DOES have a synchro, but it’s configured in an odd way relative to the forward gears. The straight cut gear compounds the problem in that it is more difficult to directly mesh straight cut gears without synchronization, compared to the helical gears on the forward speeds.

See here for more information: Reverse Synchro - NASIOC
    I read the thread provided in your link...and the thread still questioned the validity of the claim. Everywhere I've read, the reverse gear is unsynchronized in the WRX.

Even my Service Manager confirmed that the 11+ WRX transmission does not have a synchro in reverse. This is why you must be stationary when shifting in reverse or you will grind.

And yeah, it's also a straight cut gear.
    Last edited by JimboWRX; 03-25-2014 at 06:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I read the thread provided in your link...and the thread still questioned the validity of the claim. Everywhere I've read, the reverse gear is uncynchronized in the WRX.

Even my Service Manager confirmed that the 11+ WRX transmission does not have a synchro in reverse. This is why you must be stationary when shifting in reverse or you will grind.

And yeah, it's also a straight cut gear.
    I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but Rambo is correct. I'd be willing to bet you that there is not one manual gear box in a modern car that doesn't have a synchro for reverse. Otherwise you would mash the gears every time you shifted into reverse. Again due to the fact that the gears need to mesh perfectly for them to cog, thus restating what Rambo said.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    #(28), page "MT-9", in service manual #MSA5T0213A lists a "Synchro cone (Rev)"

It sits near the back end of the "Main shaft Assembly" the function apears to do with the intermesh of 5th gear to a "Coupling Sleve" that inturn ends up going to the actual reverse idler gear...

If that was worn... I don't know what the cause or effect would be...
    I doesn't apear to be of the type that we are used to... it isn't directly "reverse" but one of a couple of things that need to mesh to make it happen...
    Reverse has a synchro in it but the gear its self is NOT synchronized...

Ok, so to clarify see the above post. We are both right in a sense. The actual reverse gear its self DOES NOT have a synchronizer as there is no need for one since you should not be moving while shifting into reverse. With that being said, there IS a synchronizing cone on one of the connecting "coupler sleeves" that intermeshes 5th gear with another shaft and reverse. This is why putting it in 5th gear helps you to shift into reverse, because there is a synchronizer cone in one of the coupler sleeves that in the end connects 5th and reverse.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Ok, so to clarify see the above post. We are both right in a sense. The actual reverse gear its self DOES NOT have a synchronizer as there is no need for one since you should not be moving while shifting into reverse. With that being said, there IS a synchronizing cone on one of the connecting "coupler sleeves" that intermeshes 5th gear with another shaft and reverse. This is why putting it in 5th gear helps you to shift into reverse, because there is a synchronizer cone in one of the coupler sleeves that in the end connects 5th and reverse.
    That is the best explanation of the WRX reverse gear layout I have ever come across. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    That is the best explanation of the WRX reverse gear layout I have ever come across. Thanks!
    No problem my man! Glad to help.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Same problem in my 14 sedan

Yeah my 13' Sedan does the same thing, just jiggle it a couple times

Goo to know. I was initially worried. Thanks for the info guys

Got a a bugeye and its a bitch to get into reverse I gotta let the clutch out then engage again.

I Support ClubWRX
    My tranny (gee frenzied your avatar ) only balks when I get in a big hurry. I'll try 5th to R next time.

But generally have no issues with R being a little sticky. In fact my transmission goes right into first while rolling so I've zero complaints. Well wish I had a six speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    My tranny (gee frenzied your avatar ) only balks when I get in a big hurry. I'll try 5th to R next time.

But generally have no issues with R being a little sticky. In fact my transmission goes right into first while rolling so I've zero complaints. Well wish I had a six speed!
    I wish i had a 6 speed again as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post

I wish i had a 6 speed again as well....

I'd like a 6spd as well.

Ya know I really dig this forum! Just noticed the same exact thing with my 014 sedan and was going to bring it in to the dealer. Just saved myself a trip. Thanks guys-
    JB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.