Awd driving technique for preservation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Awd driving technique for preservation within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok where to start. I've recently bought a 14 dgm impreza wrx. I heard through rumors/word of mouth that driving ...

Awd driving technique for preservation

Ok where to start. I've recently bought a 14 dgm impreza wrx. I heard through rumors/word of mouth that driving awd in a manual transmission is a lot different than an FF or FR. This is really a question about the best way to shift a 5mt awd wrx. Now with an FR you can pop the clutch almost immediately after your shift, is this true as well with awd?? I heard you shouldn't do that, that it's bad and cause more wear on clutch/trans. I'm basically for the most ideal way to be controlling my car without causing wear and tear and preventative failures. Like for instance how far should I be depressing the clutch pedal, all the way to the floor or no? Should I not be realesing the clutch immediately after the shift?? Are these all just rumors?? I usually find the sweet spot at 3k rpm and press clutch to floor shift and release automatically and get out with no jerk or noise, same second but second feels like the clutch is being stressed and sometimes the trans makes like a chk-chck noise, please someone set me straight and let me know what's up with awd driving technique

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think that there isn't too much to be worried about here. I usually feel how the car responds to shifts, and adjust accordingly. I always push the clutch to the floor, and move the shifter with a gentle hand, letting the synchros do the work. When i let the clutch grab, If the car shakes or lurches forward, then I know I need to be more gentle. I too, care about taking care of my car, so your concern is relatable.
    David - '05 WRX

Yea like if u feel do u let the clutch out easier?? I sometimes do and if so does this burn the clutch??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I easier I mean more gradual, instead of just taking your foot off and letting it pop back out. Because I usually have been doing releases gradually and just this past week I've been popping them and the immediate feels like it's worse to do, idk, thanks

I was watching mighty car mods and moog drove a subaru for the first time and Marty was saying there was a trick to driving/shifting but he never disclosed the trick moog let it jerk and than Marty sayin don't do that but they never got into the proper technique

No, not really. It all happens pretty fast. Usually I just adjust on the next shift. I think that this isn't something to be to worried about. Although I've never driven another standard transmission car.
    David - '05 WRX

Yea. Well I previously drove an FR and with them you can just pop em out and they're good but with awd there's a trick to it I believe, but I think your right because I drove it with both techniques and it's really the same outcome , at which position do you noall feel yours grab, like half way out??

Also how often do you get on boost? Like every drive at least once?? What is preferred??

You drive a wrx like you would any other car---like you stole it.

Ok-now that i got that out of my system, i don't think there is any secret "trick" to driving a wrx. The tranny is known to be notchy at times-but a good set of shifter bushings helps that. As for the clutch-some push it all the way, others just passed the catch point.
    As long as your not dragging the clutch when shifting, and dumping the pedal you'll be fine.

Also with FWD & RWD cars, if you let out the clutch to fast, its more forgiving because the tires can break traction more easily. With AWD that stress is absorbed by the drive train.

What do u mean by dragging ? And no dumping as in press im- shift- immediately let it pop out?? You your saying gradually release the clutch ??

Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    What do u mean by dragging ?
    Either not pressing the clutch in enough and/or riding it in between shifts.

And no dumping as in press im- shift- immediately let it pop out?? You your saying gradually release the clutch ??
    Right, gradual.. But not too slow, or the rpms will fall too low.

I have been driving AWD Turbo cars since I was 16 and I am 27 now... Just for reference.

As others have alluded to and as you have mentioned in your original post, yes... AWD cars are more touchy than most because of the drivetrain. You do need to be more careful. It is all physics and strains.

For launches, if you drop the clutch on a FWD or RWD it will spin the wheels. In other words (it is still not good), but the shock to the transmission and drivetrain goes to the wheels spinning. You cannot get the wheels to spin in an AWD unless you have a LOT of HP/TQ... so where does all that excess power from the engine speed at... say.. 6500 rpms go? Into your clutch and drivetrain. To put it simply, if the wheels don't let loose and spin, all that power is doing damage to aforementioned parts.

So, this gets us into launching an AWD car and what you should/should not do (which was your original question).

Launching can be almost a clutch drop in AWD. I could show you equations of force over time, but if you drop your clutch at (this is not really dropping it, it is just a good launch... and it is hard to perfect) a rate of .25 seconds rather than instant... it is going to strain the system... but those .25 seconds give a lot of force leeway. Same as with the other shifts... Everything should feel smooth, but powerful.

To break it down, if you feel jerk, you are doing it wrong...

On a 2014 WRX... I think it was car and driver gave it a 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds by dropping the clutch. I recently did 5.23 without dropping the clutch and with no "jerk". You should be able to do the same if you figure out how to do it.

The other side of this is not letting out fast enough and burning the clutch. This is kinda hard to explain, but you should be able to drop from a lower gear to a higher gear linearly as far as RPMs go.

Say you are maxing out second and you go to third. Your RPMs should look like they drop from 6500 to whatever RPM it should be smoothly. If it sticks closer to 6500 or is not a smooth transition... you are doing it wrong.
    2014 WRX Hatch

Yea I have never launched, thank you all for your tips

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I go full retard when I launch. #Bauce aucesome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.