Awd driving technique for preservation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Awd driving technique for preservation within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Rev to 6000 RPM. Dump clutch. Run 11s....

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Rev to 6000 RPM. Dump clutch. Run 11s.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, as hard as it is on the system... a proper clutch drop in an AWD is Whasume Saose...

I guess the inverse of my argument is go crazy til something breaks, replace broken part with something that won't break... make more awesome. Rinse. Repeat.
    2014 WRX Hatch

Yea shinji thanks. I wasn't talking about launching/redlining, I don't do that at all really. I was talking about normal cruise speeds. I usually go to 3k-shift-drop clutch, and in 2nd sometimes ill hear a chk-chk in the drivetrain. Is that normal?? If I let the clutch out fast but gradually I won't hear it, but is that worse? Does that burn the clutch?? I'm really asking what's the less of the two evils?? I get what your saying tho, thanks for clearing that up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt troise View Post
    Yea shinji thanks. I wasn't talking about launching/redlining, I don't do that at all really. I was talking about normal cruise speeds. I usually go to 3k-shift-drop clutch, and in 2nd sometimes ill hear a chk-chk in the drivetrain. Is that normal?? If I let the clutch out fast but gradually I won't hear it, but is that worse? Does that burn the clutch?? I'm really asking what's the less of the two evils?? I get what your saying tho, thanks for clearing that up

If you drop the clutch that is a sudden shock on the system, hence the clunk. If you slip it a bit (what you referred to as letting it out fast but gradually) the strain is no longer a sudden shock where everything all of a sudden bangs together in gear, but instead is kinda slipped into gear. That will wear your clutch, but that's what it's for. The clutch and some associated parts are wear items, you will have to replace them eventually. The sudden shock of dropping the clutch, that may cause wear/damage to parts that are not things you want to be replacing frequently or at all. Also increases the chance for something to actually break on the spot, instead of gradually wear down.

Try to avoid the clunk, you'll get a better feel for it the longer you drive the car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I usually go to 3k-shift-drop clutch, and in 2nd sometimes ill hear a chk-chk in the drivetrain. Is that normal??
    I am new to these cars, so this is somewhat guesswork. That is most likely your rear diff gears banging together. It is not that bad for the car, and it is normal if you pop the clutch while shifting. Mine does it too. It is not good for the car though and it is not how you should be driving it on a daily basis.

If I let the clutch out fast but gradually
    That is exactly what you should be doing. It is not burning the clutch as long as the RPMs make a smooth transition from the RPMs in one gear to the next. If you shift at 3k RPMs, the needle should go from 3k directly down to where they should be at for the next gear. If they go above 3k RPMs when you shift, or sit at 3k or so while you are letting out the clutch then you might be slipping the clutch a bit.

My suggestion would be to look at some of Mike's (SmurfinWRX on Youtube) video on shifting and just listen to what his shifts sound like then try to replicate. I would give other examples of good shifters on youtube and links... but Youtube is down right now.
    2014 WRX Hatch

I've got 12k miles on my car and i still sometimes lurches a little when I upshift...

I mean I let the RPM's go down, and it doesn't make any noises, it's just not as smooth as when I had a honda when I was younger

Ok gotcha, yea that's what I normally do fast but smoothly and rpms drop to 2k. I only got that chk-chk sound once or twice when I would let the clutch pop out. Ok good thanks

never understood why everyone feels that these cars are hard to drive. Maybe I'm just a natural. lol. even the first time I test drove it, I had no issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
    never understood why everyone feels that these cars are hard to drive. Maybe I'm just a natural. lol. even the first time I test drove it, I had no issues whatsoever.
    They are just a little different than FR/FF. Most people have experience with non awd vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Stunna02 View Post
    I've got 12k miles on my car and i still sometimes lurches a little when I upshift...

I mean I let the RPM's go down, and it doesn't make any noises, it's just not as smooth as when I had a honda when I was younger
    Yeah it's nowhere near as smooth as my last Mitsubishi either

Quote Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
    I wouldn't say its hard to drive.. Just a little more finicky than most other cars.

Mine will only lurch if I don't give it enough gas. But mine is still brand new so. My last car was a mustang gt and my wrx is light years beyond a better performing car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12