Car behaves like clutch is slipping, one wheel doesnt spin in the air
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car behaves like clutch is slipping, one wheel doesnt spin in the air within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm not going to pretend I know how the AWD works, but when I lift my car and engage first ...

Car behaves like clutch is slipping, one wheel doesnt spin in the air

I'm not going to pretend I know how the AWD works, but when I lift my car and engage first gear the passenger front tire does not spin.
    My car will barely move forward or rear, the speedo climbs with RPM even though the car isnt going anywhere.
    After doing some research it appears that its often an axle that has popped out. With the symptoms of the above test, can I assume its the passenger front that has popped out? When looking under the car it does not appear that any axle is out at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Luckily, the open differential in the front ought to make testing for an out of place axle easy: with the car off the ground, turning one front wheel by hand should result in the coupled opposite turn of the wheel on the other side of the car.
    David - '05 WRX

Ok, I went out and setup my camera to watch the opposite side. Turning the driver side front does cause the passenger side to spin the opposite direction.
    The rear was the same, spun the passenger side and noticed in the video that the driver side front and rear spun the opposite direction.

Alright, then maybe the axles are not the problem. You said that the car pretty much won't move in first gear. Can you get the car to drive in second or third (or at least stall the engine with the clutch in a high gear). I am wondering if you've got transmission/gear problems or if you've got clutch problems.
    David - '05 WRX

No matter the gear, the car doesnt stall anymore. It went from normal to non driveable in the matter of 2 miles of slow driving. Clutch has never slipped before and seems a bit sudden for it to fail if it is the case.
    I read on some old nasioc threads that if the speedo climbs with rpm then its likely drivetrain issue and not clutch.

That sounds about right. That stinks. But if the engine speed and speedometer climb, then maybe the issue is in one of the differentials?
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    No matter the gear, the car doesnt stall anymore. It went from normal to non driveable in the matter of 2 miles of slow driving. Clutch has never slipped before and seems a bit sudden for it to fail if it is the case.
    I read on some old nasioc threads that if the speedo climbs with rpm then its likely drivetrain issue and not clutch.
    That would be correct. The speedo going when you engage the clutch means that it is not the clutch. But something somewhere else. what year is your car and how many miles are on it? also do you have a warranty for it?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

What do you think about lifting the car and having four people trying to turn the four wheels by hand (I.e. three hold still while one tries to turn) to see if there is a break in their coupling? Or maybe one of the more experienced forum members will need to chime in. I suspect that the center differential is behind the speed sensor (so the sensor still gets engine power), so maybe that is a focal point for investigation
    David - '05 WRX

Car is a 2007 WRX, reading other forums with open differential cars all seem to point to axle problems....I may just have to take each one out and reseat it, was hoping there would be an easy way to tell which one was the problem before hand. From visual and feel they all seem firmly in.

I Support ClubWRX
    Car is a 2007 WRX, reading other forums with open differential cars all seem to point to axle problems....I may just have to take each one out and reseat it, was hoping there would be an easy way to tell which one was the problem before hand. From visual and feel they all seem firmly in.
    It could be a differential problem as well. Honestly it could be anything past the transmission as that is where the computer gets the speedometer readings from.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Had the car towed to the dealer, will update with what they find.

I haven't seen the write up yet, but one of the ladies read it back to me.

From what I could gather they want to replace the shift fork, clutch, and a release bearing.
    Hopefully the clutch isn't needed, i'm sure I can get one for $300 myself, but being a dealer it will probably run me $900.

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't seen the write up yet, but one of the ladies read it back to me.

From what I could gather they want to replace the shift fork, clutch, and a release bearing.
    Hopefully the clutch isn't needed, i'm sure I can get one for $300 myself, but being a dealer it will probably run me $900.
    Oh boy, that doesn't sound cheap... Good Luck!
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

So the warranty denied it because they say clutch parts are a wearable item, yada yada yada.

The write up:
    "Removed intercooler and inspected clutch area through rubber boot where shift fork enters bell housing. Found a very large amount of clutch filings, also there is little to no shift fork travel left. Found shift fork to be damaged."

Price will be about $900 to replace:
    Shift Fork 30531AA180 $34.15
    Pivot-Release Lever 30537AA061 $9.53
    Clutch Release Bearing 30502AA120 $56.11
    Plus 6.7 hours of labor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Was everything else outside of the clutch covered? Because it should be, at least under my understanding of warranties.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast