Odd clutch noise/ feel

This is a discussion on Odd clutch noise/ feel within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have notice about 2 or 3 times now since I went stage 2 one week ago that when I ...

Odd clutch noise/ feel

I have notice about 2 or 3 times now since I went stage 2 one week ago that when I shift hard/ fast my clutch begins to vibrate/ rumble hard. Also today after a couple hard pulls and maybe 2 hard shifts the same thing happened and also notice a strange noise. It sounded like a squeaky belt and when I fully engaged the clutch it would stop and would I would release it, it would start up again. Anybody have any ideas why that would be happening?
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I had to guess I would say bad flywheel but that's a total guess. Can anyone confirm or deny?

my 2012 wrx was stage two for about 7 months and recently started doing it really bad. the phenomenon came and went and then got steadily worse. Looked around on forums for experience or feedback and found very little and ended up swapping the clutch for a competition clutch stage 2 2100 series. needless to say its gone and now i have a high performance clutch, still in the break in process. When i pulled the flywheel i could tell it was warped especially by how burnt blue the metal was from super hot temps. So a steel braided clutch line, group n pitch stop and tranny mount with the stage 2 comp clutch and some motul gear300 and now its a racecarrrr

Quote Originally Posted by 20T-WRX12 View Post
    my 2012 wrx was stage two for about 7 months and recently started doing it really bad. the phenomenon came and went and then got steadily worse. Looked around on forums for experience or feedback and found very little and ended up swapping the clutch for a competition clutch stage 2 2100 series. needless to say its gone and now i have a high performance clutch, still in the break in process. When i pulled the flywheel i could tell it was warped especially by how burnt blue the metal was from super hot temps. So a steel braided clutch line, group n pitch stop and tranny mount with the stage 2 comp clutch and some motul gear300 and now its a racecarrrr
    Did you do all the labor yourself? How long did that take?

Yes I installed it myself with the help of a good friend of mine that is an amg tech. I rented a do it yourself garage with a lift and transmission jack. It also supplied tools but my buddy brought all of his tq wrenches, air tools, pry bars etc..., so we had all of the necessary equipment to do so. With taking the front axels out (just remove the strut to make disassembly and assembly easy), the prop shaft, and with lowering the transmission (which you have to jack up the front of the engine or use straps to tilt the engine back to do so) this took all day. The actual clutch swap not long at all, just taking the time to mount the flywheel correctly so that it doesn't warp and tightening each bolt in a specific pattern little by little to a specific tq takes some time, it depends on the quality you want. It was very difficult. I recommend finding a place that has. a top-notch trans jack, for a four cylinder its pretty big and heavy. Im about 200 miles into the break in and its great. The clutch is already smoothing out. I wouldn't recommend doing this on jackstands, that would take more than a day and very stressful. A guy there installed a new clutch on a neon and did it in about five hours and 200 meters out the door his transmission exploded lol