2001 wrx, throwout bearing noise, dealer refuses to fix

This is a discussion on 2001 wrx, throwout bearing noise, dealer refuses to fix within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I bought a 2011 wrx in Jan 2013 with 22k miles on the car, plus extended warranty from ...

Angry 2001 wrx, throwout bearing noise, dealer refuses to fix

Hi all,

I bought a 2011 wrx in Jan 2013 with 22k miles on the car, plus extended warranty from my local Subaru dealership. A few weeks ago, at around 42k miles, I noticed the throwout bearing started making noise. I brought the car to the dealer, they acknowledged the throwout bearing issue and offered to fix under warranty. Everything was going good until they took apart the car, and informed me that the clutch, pressure plate, and bearing are all after market. They now refuse to cover any of the repairs - labor or parts, and advised me to contact SOA, who also declined to offer me any assistance. I am wondering if there is anyone else on this forum who has gone through a similar situation and have any advice for me so I'm not on the hook for the entire cost which is currently approaching 2000$.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any chance to figure out the history of the car?

Sounds like the previous owner obviously changed something...but there are known issues of clutches going early in the life of 3rd gens, and being replaced by dealers at good faith. Perhaps you can track down and find out of those were changed as a result of this at that previous dealer (carfax might help here).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Sorry folks, I need to clarify that the car is 2011, not 2001 as the thread subject specifies.

I dont know the history of the car, I assumed at 20k miles it was almost brand new and certainly stock...at least that is what was communicated to me by the sales scumbags.

I would read through your warranty and contact a lawyer and go from there.

Rough topic. They could easily say it's at users fault... Wear n tear stuff...

Sent from my Nexus 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Deevs View Post
    Rough topic. They could easily say it's at users fault... Wear n tear stuff...

Sent from my Nexus 4
    The issue is the imitation parts.

I don't have an answer but I'd be worried. The advice about contacting a lawyer is good IMO. The parts are not authentic, therefore SOA will not cover them -- they're not responsible for parts they neither designed nor advised. Good luck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

To make matters worse, the purchasing dealership is Subaru of Stamford, CT...but the car is being serviced at Subaru of Norwalk, CT......so which one do I raise hell with? This is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by fubada View Post
    To make matters worse, the purchasing dealership is Subaru of Stamford, CT...but the car is being serviced at Subaru of Norwalk, CT......so which one do I raise hell with? This is horrible
    Go back and look at the Carfax. That will tell you which dealer touched the car and when...and you will most likely see a note about some kind of service for something. Then discuss that service with said dealer. The object here is to get the two dealers talking and hopefully the one that did the original work to replace the clutch with non-OEM parts will man up and see about getting it done.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Mikie13,

Thanks for the advice, question, why do you think the clutch job was done at the dealer, and why would that be in Carfax?

Quote Originally Posted by fubada View Post
    Mikie13,

Thanks for the advice, question, why do you think the clutch job was done at the dealer, and why would that be in Carfax?
    Like I said in my first post in this thread, there have been a known number of 2011+ WRXs that randomly would blow clutches early in their lifespans...15k, 20k, 30k, etc. Which given that it's a wear item that should last an average of 100k miles (ball park figure here), a lot of dealers have replaced clutches that early under warranty or as good faith knowing that even a fairly ok manual driver won't blow a clutch that soon. My guess is that this is one of those cases. Anytime a car goes to a dealer (or most shops now days) to get work done, its usually checked in and Carfax can find that data and add it to their report. This is what makes Carfaxes pretty decent tools at seeing a car's history. Its not the only or even possibly the best tool, but it's a good help.

My last STI I had, the original single owner bought it at one dealer, and took it to the dealer for every bit of maintenance it needed. Oil changes, warranty work, 30k service, 60k service, etc...and every single one of those trips to the dealer were checked in. You could see it every 3k noted with "oil/filter change." This led me to purchase the car since I could see the history of maintenance right there. Now not every car will have this, but it COULD...which is why I say to at least look.

Thanks for that info Mikie13.

Does anyone have a subscription to carfax unlimited to run my VIN? >

i would do what mikie said. i was one of those cases with a 2011 wrx and my clutch went out at 14k mile due to a throw out bearing failure. did u put the aftermarket clutch and stuff on or was it there? i would take it back to the dealer u bought it from ifu can. dealer didnt give u carfax when u bought it?

Checked the carfax, no record of any transmission service. Will try to speak to the GM tomorrow. Thanks all

So I ended up paying the bill, total was just over 2100$. The dealership charged for roughly 11 hours of labor to tear down, diagnose, and replace throwout bearing, clutch, flywheel, pplate. Can someone tell me if the 11 hours is typical for such procedures?

Thanks all

Yeah that's crappy. Seems about right for full teardown and diagnosis. You have to drop the transmission to get to the clutch.