2011 5mt WRX Cold start transmission noise... doesnt sound good

This is a discussion on 2011 5mt WRX Cold start transmission noise... doesnt sound good within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; check this out, happens when weather is below 30's and really prominent in single digits. 25mph this howling starts, quits ...

2011 5mt WRX Cold start transmission noise... doesnt sound good

check this out, happens when weather is below 30's and really prominent in single digits.
    25mph this howling starts, quits after 30, but returns whenever going that speed. Once trans is warm, it goes away and wont happen until car is cold again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCmE3FUwk8

anyone have an idea, center diff? bearing? fluid?
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I get the same thing. Questioned that for a while too haha

Sent from my Nexus 4

Did you ever get it looked at? How many miles did you have when it started?
    Im having mine inspected while doing some routine service

Always forget about it when I'm in for warranty works. My car barely has 6000 miles, and it's an 2011. It doesn't really seem like a problem for me, it goes away after 5 mins of driving. Keep me updated please!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Ok so the only thing they found was a very loose TB-IC connector and a boost leak. Cannot believe how much smoother and punchier the car is.... wow i wonder how long this had been going on. Spool is way quicker. Spool is quieter. Very happy they fixed the boost/vac leak

The trans fluid was drained and refilled, as well as oil changed. Car is much quieter even when fully warmed up. Shifting is smoother, quicker to engage.

Will post how tomorrows -18F cold start up goes in the morning. I'm a tad skeptical

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Ok so the only thing they found was a very loose TB-IC connector and a boost leak. Cannot believe how much smoother and punchier the car is.... wow i wonder how long this had been going on. Spool is way quicker. Spool is quieter. Very happy they fixed the boost/vac leak

The trans fluid was drained and refilled, as well as oil changed. Car is much quieter even when fully warmed up. Shifting is smoother, quicker to engage.

Will post how tomorrows -18F cold start up goes in the morning. I'm a tad skeptical
    Yeah, I've had my TB hose reconnected.. It disconnected and caused 2 misfires.. Seems like a common issue.
    Did they charge you for the trans oil change?
    What was the temperature when your video was shot? As for me, the sound occured under very cold conditions. That is ~-40C/-40F.

Sent from my Nexus 4

-18 f to +20f, my trans oil was 33000 mi old, had it been under 30 they would have picked it up

Let me know if the sound persists!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Best bet would be to let it be haha. I wouldn't worry too much since warranty on the drive train is longer. As I told you, my car nears the 6000 miles mark, and it has done this weird humming since day 1.