Weird tranny noise when cold? 11 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weird tranny noise when cold? 11 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When starting my car in the cold (20 degrees F or less) there is a metal on metal noise coming ...

Weird tranny noise when cold? 11 wrx

When starting my car in the cold (20 degrees F or less) there is a metal on metal noise coming from the transmission area. It lasts about one minute then goes away completely for the rest of the day whether i turn it on or off. It will only come back if the car has been sitting for about 6 hours in the cold. Within that minute, if i engage the clutch pedal fully, the noise goes away and comes back when released.
    Also, at this temperature, it is very difficult to shift between gears for about 10 minutes? I think that's normal though?

Started happening when i just got it back from the dealership about two weeks ago for other clutch/transmission problems i've been having.

Car: 2011 wrx ~21k miles, bought new. Currently just an inlet pipe installed. previously had a tbe, cobb short throw shifter, intake, cobb tune. Took it all off since i was going back and forth to the dealership for warranty issues. Changed engine oil every 5k miles and subaru changed the transmission oil twice so far. Throw out bearing and clutch were changed twice. Flywheel was changed once.

Anyone know if the noise is normal in cold weather or any idea what it is? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone hear anything like this? people in CA? gets like -20 there?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are really concerned, you can always bring it back to the dealer who did the work, but...

Our cars do not like the cold. They scream/whine/moan/cry/etc until they have enough time for all the fluids to come up to full operating temperature. It is not uncommon. I dread the sounds I hear when I start my car on a very cold morning.

I Support ClubWRX
    You're telling me your Subaru is making strange rattling/grinding/clicking noises? I'm shocked, I say, truly shocked...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    You're telling me your Subaru is making strange rattling/grinding/clicking noises? I'm shocked, I say, truly shocked...
    I'd be more shocked and concerned if it didn't.

yeah its back there for other stuff they did a less than well job on so they r looking at that to. thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.