Some part questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Some part questions. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I own a 2005 WRX. I actually just bought it. It has just about 197k on it. I ...

MTM

Some part questions.

Hello all, I own a 2005 WRX. I actually just bought it. It has just about 197k on it. I need some some parts and was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions or affirm Im heading in the right direction.

So I got some pictures back from my mechanic today about the noise my 2005 WRX was making. He thinks its in the clutch or the starter since I didnt hear it until I replaces the starter. Well he pulled the starter off and since he had it on the lift he could actually check out the fly wheel.. Its in pretty bad shape. I guess the dude who I got it from had a bad starter longer then he led me to believe.

Looking at this one. Good? fair price?

So while we are there, we figure we should replace the clutch as well. Its got 197k on it and Im almost positive its on the stock clutch. It feels ok to me but my mechanic says he can tell it is tired. So I figure Ill just replace it.

So this is the one Im looking at. Is this going to be ok? Id like to increase HP soon, but at this rate its going to be awhile before I can rebuild the motor... so will this work and last a bit with some power eventually?

passenger side axel is also bad he said.

Ok replacement?

If you have any suggestions on parts please let me know.I do have a budget, so I really cant drop $500 on a clutch. Id like to keep it around 500-600 total if possible. Id like to order the parts this week to have them to install this weekend. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd get a replacement OEM flywheel. The Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit is just fine. Usually what most people go for when it's time.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'd get a replacement OEM flywheel. The Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit is just fine. Usually what most people go for when it's time.
    thats the one I was thinking about and had linked. Sweet. Just wanted to get conformation that it was good enough. I know Exedy is a good brand, but its been awhile since Ive been in the car world. I know a lot can happen in a few years. thanks!

You know anywhere I can get the OEM flywheel I cant find them online anywhere? Dealer only?

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

MTM
    Thanks!

But why the hell are they more than some aftermarket ones? I wasnt aware they all used the same flywheel either. thanks. That will help a lot searching.

Failure of the passenger side CV boot is also common and can be saved if caught early enough. Yours looks like it's run dry since the grease that came out of it appears old/dust covered.
    David - '05 WRX

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That scares me. My started has a broken flange so it's only held on by one bolt and I've been putting off replacing it.

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Failure of the passenger side CV boot is also common and can be saved if caught early enough. Yours looks like it's run dry since the grease that came out of it appears old/dust covered.
    Yeah, Im assuming thats why he wants me to buy a whole axle. You think the one I have linked will be ok? My mechanic can replace everything, but since we trade labor he usually has me order all my own parts so no money exchanges hands. And I usually help if I can. His shop > my garage and small tool box. haha

MTM
    sooo

this
    Competition Clutch 02-05 Subaru Impreza WRX ST Flywheel 2-671-ST

orrrr

the OEM one Mikie linked... thoughts?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    OEM

I Support ClubWRX
    If the car is stock (or close to it), I'd recommend an OE replacement clutch. Exedy makes one, and it'll be a bit cheaper than OE. PM me for a price, if you're interested.

MTM
    Thanks, ill go for the OEM Flywheel.

@WTF Tuning, I shot you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.