Exedy Clutch Questions

This is a discussion on Exedy Clutch Questions within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey whats up you guys, i replaced my OEM 5MT tranny with a Exedy OEM replacement Light Weight Flywheel And ...

Exedy Clutch Questions

Hey whats up you guys, i replaced my OEM 5MT tranny with a Exedy OEM replacement Light Weight Flywheel And Clutch and i am having huge noise problems.After the install i was getting a CEL for Cyl. 3 Miss fire i did some research and apparently a light weight aftermarket flywheel will throw this code. So i took it to my local tuner and for a $150 fee they re-flashed my ECU and got rid of the code for good(before i took it to the shop i changed the spark plugs and swaped the coil packs and still had the same problem). Alright so no matter what gear i am in, when i am decelerating there is a very audible grinding noise i get when only decelerating in gear. It is driving me bonkers, almost to the point where i just wasn't to replace the clutch and flywheel for myself. I called Exedy to try and figure out what is going on, and the guy said it is completely normal but had no explanation as to why(strange right). So with that being said is anyone else having this problem with a Non multi disc Exedy Clutch? I would really like to hear some input mainly to ease my tears when i am decelerating, its just so loud i am having trouble accepting it as normal. And while i am at it, i want to install the Grimmspeed light weight pulley but i am concerned that there will be to little rotational mass with the light weight pulley and light weight flywheel?
    Last edited by Skunk Records; 01-12-2014 at 01:10 AM.
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If I remember correctly while I was searching for clutch/flywheel info, a lot of people have noise issues going lightweight. Not all but quite a few. I never found out why though, I saw enough complaints that strayed me away from going lightweight. Your best bet is to go back to factory or search around for which flywheel doesn't have/has the least amount of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by NowDatsG View Post
    If I remember correctly while I was searching for clutch/flywheel info, a lot of people have noise issues going lightweight. Not all but quite a few. I never found out why though, I saw enough complaints that strayed me away from going lightweight. Your best bet is to go back to factory or search around for which flywheel doesn't have/has the least amount of noise.
    Ya man my main goal is to see if anyone else is having or had the same problem as me with Exedy.
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

Exedy OEM Clutch is usually fine...as long as it was installed correctly. I've seen issues where the throw-out bearing wasn't installed correctly.

And for the record, lightweight flywheels and pulleys usually don't do squat (pulley especially) but cause problems. I'd rethink the pulley.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning