Help!!!! Weird creaking noise when getting out of first.

This is a discussion on Help!!!! Weird creaking noise when getting out of first. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Happy new year everyone, I have a 2012 wrx 5-door that's giving me an issue. Right when I get out ...

Help!!!! Weird creaking noise when getting out of first.

Happy new year everyone, I have a 2012 wrx 5-door that's giving me an issue. Right when I get out of first gear I'm getting a slight creak.. creak noise from right under the short shifter area. It only happens when I'm going from a standstill to actually moving in first gear. All the other gears are fine. I did install the kart boy front and rear shifter bushings about a month ago. I'm pretty sure everything is tight. I was thinking about going back and possibly putting some blue loctite on the bolts. That's the only explanation I could come up with. Have any of you encountered this problem? I know it's not the hill assist.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hard to tell what the noise is without hearing it...post a vid?

Possible you could have tightened the bolts to the front bushings too much and it's creaking. I've seen that happen in the past, as well as the pivot point on the shifter being too tight.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

You could be right! I know I did tighten the front bushings pretty good. Maybe too right to your point. I'm gonna loosen it up a bit and just throw on some loctite for some added assurance. I'll recheck the shifter pivot point and post a vid up once I get home.

Loctite isn't a bad idea, and even add some lithium grease to the bushings themselves while you are under there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

What's weird about it is it only does it from a stand still immediately as I let the clutch out and start moving forward. Like a light CREAK...CREAK. After that it's all good until I come to another stop.

It might just be that position of the shifter in first is where it's tight enough to warrant the creaking. Anywhere else that the shifter lies is just enough to not creak.

Mikie PM me your number. I tried uploading the video but it's not uploading

I just installed a Kartboy STS in my 11 wrx. The different length caused minor contact with the rubber housing in 1st gear, so I put some grease at the contact point and the squeak went away. Hope this helps! Also, the clutch pedal is known to creak, especially when it's cold. It would be most noticeable at standstill because it would be quietest in the cab.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ...add some lithium grease to the bushings themselves while you are under there.
    This is my recommendation as well. I applied a liberal amount of lithium grease in the shifter ball socket, the rear bushing hole where the shifter fits, and between the new front bushings.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Holy hell guys!!!!!!! I went underneath my car today to apply some grease and re torque some bolts as advised and I see this!!!! The entire bottom of the tranny was coated in gear oil and it looks like they JB welded or tried to patch something on my tranny when they changed my clutch and clutch pedal assembly at the dealership about 2 months ago!!!! I hadn't noticed til now. The dark gray circle on the bottom left of the drain bolt is a soft spot. If I hit the tranny with a wrench it sounds like metal to metal contact but when I hit that spot it doesn't make a sound. I can literally scrape it off with a nail. It feels like hard play-doh. It could also be a bad casting of the transmission. I have no clue but I'm taking it in tomorrow morning to see what's up. I'm only at 19K and I've already had to replace the clutch, clutch pedal and now this!!! This is INSANE!!!!! I'm in love with the car but damn! I'm at the service dept every other week. I wish they would just swap me for a 2014 Sti Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	130161Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	130169Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	130177

Wow! Yeah I'd raise hell about that!