Clutch problems when cold?

This is a discussion on Clutch problems when cold? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well to start off I bought the car off someone who said they had a stage 2 clutch and lightweight ...

Clutch problems when cold?

well to start off I bought the car off someone who said they had a stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel installed about a year before I bought it, I definitely believe him because the pedal feels like im pushing a 7 or 8 pound weight and the tune reads that it was set for a lightweight flywheel so that checks out.

the thing Im unsure of is ever since it started getting colder and colder out, the clutch pedal will be harder to push (even after warmed up for about 10 mins or so) and doesn't start going back to its normal pedal feel until a little bit of driving is done. Also on very cold days the clutch seems like it slips if too heavy on the throttle ( again until a little until a bit of driving has been done then its not as bad.)

Is it a coincidence that my clutch has had wear and is just acting up as winter had started or do you think its giving me problems because of the weather? the clutch held up great and had no slips at all during the summer so im not sure. ive thought about trying to bleed my clutch just in case water or air was in it but with the temp being -10 and not having a garage at the moment its going to have to weight. I just wanted to get an idea of what it might or if anyones had the same issue.
    -thanks for your input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If your clutch is metallic, it will require some heat to fully hold. For instance, I had an OS Giken twin disc metallic clutch on my Supra and it would slip a little if I opened up the car before driving for a bit. Of course, my car was close to 600RWHP so, it depends on what power you are putting down and what your clutch is rated for. If you are well within your spec, I would recommend checking over your master cylinder to make sure that is OK and if possible, inspect the pressure plate/cluch (come cars have an access port which will allow this *I am new to subrau so, I am not sure if that is possible for you*

It is entirely possible that you have some air in the cylinder so, if you can, bleed it and see if that helps.

Hope this helps...
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Cobb Stage I

thanks ill keep that in mind, im running a custom stage 2 cobb tune with some bolt ons so im definitely not making close to what you were haha but once it gets a little warmer out ill try bleeding my master and see if it helps hopefully i wont have to be shopping for a clutch this spring